TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

WorkPlane - need a reference to a good (and short) tutorial
Read 1838 times
* December 03, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
I have what I thought was a 2d file in DWG format that came from some sort of topographical survey drawing tool.  Most of the objects I'm working with don't seem to have a "WorkPlane problem" but when I select a few of them I get a warning that I am about to change the current WorkPlane.  I'm guessing this means there is some attribute that has a different value for the "Z" coordinate.  I guess  I'm looking for a way to "collapse" these objects to the "common" WorkPlane where most of the other drawing elements seem to live or some other way to avoid repeated stumbling over this complication.  I've attached the problem file.  One problem object is labelled "PGE Vault" and is located at the corner as you turn right from Foresthill Road onto Portofino Drive.

* December 03, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
Hey Rich, if your viewing the file in world ( plan view ) only then I think that you never need to reference the z coordinates. Whereas if you go from a 2d view to a 3d view then objects can be on different planes.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* December 03, 2017, 05:39:13 PM
just downloaded, which object be specific please.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* December 03, 2017, 05:44:45 PM
Yep a lot of the objects inside the file are on different work planes, see the capture.png

To overcome this:
1 make a backup copy.
2. select all the objects while in world view and select place on workplane from the modify menu.

HTH

Daz

* December 03, 2017, 05:46:08 PM
was in world view,then just selected a random object then went to 3d iso se and theres the answer.

Daz

* December 03, 2017, 05:46:31 PM
With all the Layers Visible and UnLocked, Select All.  While all is still selected, do a "Workplane by World"; while all is still selected, do a "Place on Workplane".

What you are experiencing seems to be a common occurrence with imported complex DWG 2D files.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 04, 2017, 12:38:06 AM
Rich try Mastering TurboCAD v20 Deluxe & Pro By Kevin Doucette, an excellent starting point.

Daz

* December 04, 2017, 06:28:11 AM
With all the Layers Visible and UnLocked, Select All.  While all is still selected, do a "Workplane by World"; while all is still selected, do a "Place on Workplane".

What you are experiencing seems to be a common occurrence with imported complex DWG 2D files.

Guys

I got up this morning and used the procedure suggested by Daz before I saw Alvin's post.  The title bar said "World Plan" which I guess meant 2D plan view relative to the UCS.  I could not figure out how to get to set "WorkPlane by World".  The Daz process got rid of the warning message on my problem objects so I am hoping everything got placed on the "World Plan" WorkPlane.

The only real 3D work I have done has been using SketchUp and not IntelliCAD although my IntelliCAD version was 3D capable.  The project I'm working on is strictly 2D so I'll have to find some other challenge to work on my 3D.  I guess I should probably take the 3D training course that came with TurboCAD too!

* December 04, 2017, 06:58:14 AM
Rich try Mastering TurboCAD v20 Deluxe & Pro By Kevin Doucette, an excellent starting point.

While waiting for the sun to come up so I could walk the dogs, I started into the 3D Basic Training material.  When I got to the SE Isometric view and tried it on my drawing, I noticed some artifacts at the top of the workspace and when I zoomed in they were my problem items.  I have no idea why they were drawn at the elevation they were while the remainder of the drawing is at "zero".  They are probably closer to the "real world" elevation of the location of the drawing.  There were several blocks that represented landmarks like telephone poles and road signs and I would guess that their elevation needed to be entered when they were placed.  I went through them individually and changed their "Z" to zero and that seemed to work OK.

* December 04, 2017, 04:22:54 PM
Don Cheke's tutorials are excellent. I believe he has one on understanding workplanes.

* December 04, 2017, 06:08:28 PM
Any 3D projects I can envision would involve cabinetry or wood working which tend to be fairly simple compared to some of the machine tool projects I have seen.  Some folks get excited drawing half blind dovetails but in terms of design and structure that's usually a hidden detail.  I just received a slab of claro walnut with a wonderful fan grain and need to put that on my project list for some door panels for a small cabinet.  I'll try the 3d in TurboCAD since I can (hopefully) get to dimensioned plan view drawings easier that with SketchUp.  Attached for reference is the last project which was cabinet that had to fit into an alcove.  I built it and it works great.