TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

dimension scale problems
Read 2355 times
* June 19, 2017, 10:00:03 AM
Last week, using TC Pro 21.2, I created an object in Model Space.  I then switched to Paper Space, inserted a viewport and proceeded to dimension my object.  In the process of doing this, I may have also resized the viewport a time or two.

This morning I noticed that some of my dimensions are correct, but others are not correct.  I think the problem might be related to the difference between Model Space and Paper Space, but I'm not sure.  Whenever the viewport itself is selected, the dimensions that are CORRECT get high-lighted (along with the object itself that is being dimensioned), but the dimensions that are WRONG do NOT get high-lighted.  The dimensions that are CORRECT seem to be looking at the object itself that exists in Model Space, while the dimensions that are WRONG seem to be stuck in Paper Space (although I used SEKE snaps as I dimensioned the object itself).  I am quite confused and not sure what I did wrong.

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong and/or how to avoid this problem?  Thanks!

* June 19, 2017, 10:10:36 AM
Last week, using TC Pro 21.2, I created an object in Model Space.  I then switched to Paper Space, inserted a viewport and proceeded to dimension my object.  In the process of doing this, I may have also resized the viewport a time or two.

This morning I noticed that some of my dimensions are correct, but others are not correct.  I think the problem might be related to the difference between Model Space and Paper Space, but I'm not sure.  Whenever the viewport itself is selected, the dimensions that are CORRECT get high-lighted (along with the object itself that is being dimensioned), but the dimensions that are WRONG do NOT get high-lighted.  The dimensions that are CORRECT seem to be looking at the object itself that exists in Model Space, while the dimensions that are WRONG seem to be stuck in Paper Space (although I used SEKE snaps as I dimensioned the object itself).  I am quite confused and not sure what I did wrong.

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong and/or how to avoid this problem?  Thanks!

If possible please post the problem file to have a look at.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 19, 2017, 11:08:05 AM
Don,

I have attached a simplified drawing showing the dimension problems.  Thanks for looking at this!  :)

* June 19, 2017, 11:41:24 AM
Don,

I have attached a simplified drawing showing the dimension problems.  Thanks for looking at this!  :)

The first thing to have a look at: go to Viewport and check the box in the scale field. For me, entering dimensions and text in model space is a preference. At some point if the viewport has to re-scaled all of the entities are re-scaled accordingly. Hopefully this helps a bit and makes some sense.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 19, 2017, 12:29:44 PM
The first thing to have a look at: go to Viewport and check the box in the scale field. For me, entering dimensions and text in model space is a preference. At some point if the viewport has to re-scaled all of the entities are re-scaled accordingly. Hopefully this helps a bit and makes some sense.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I kept looking at the dimension properties and never even thought to have a look at the viewport properties.  It certainly seems safer to always dimension in Model Space, and then use the View Port as a tool for laying out pages to be printed.  At least for now, I will be going down that route.

It is very strange that some of my dimensions in Paper Space seem to be tied to the object in Model Space to which they are measuring, however, while other dimensions in Paper Space are not tied to anything.  Not sure how that happened, but at least I have a work-around for the time being.

Thanks again!
nw

* June 19, 2017, 11:15:29 PM
I reported the same problem in this forum a few months ago - I can't remember when.
It's a bug and and there will never be a fix for V21.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* June 20, 2017, 08:26:52 AM
I reported the same problem in this forum a few months ago - I can't remember when.
It's a bug and and there will never be a fix for V21.

I think you reported it on May 1, 2017, in a post titled "Bugs in V21 Drafting".  Here's the link: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20939.0.html

Looks like the only sure file work-around is to dimension in model space, as proposed by DonCW.