TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Rotate a view
Read 2628 times
* December 26, 2016, 01:36:39 PM
I have my drawing set up so that the model space orients correctly with the world, i.e., a NW isometric view will produce a view as from the NW in the real world.  These views orient nicely on the paper space with a landscape layout.  I am drawing a kitchen for some possible mods which is fairly square, but one of the mods under consideration will extend the wall to the north.  So, on a landscape print, I would actually like west or east to be at the bottom.  But, if I create a viewport in model space plan view, the bottom is north.  Is there some way to rotate the view?

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

December 26, 2016, 01:53:44 PM
My understanding of the Views is that it is camera oriented, meaning that a NW view will show the object as seen if the camera is to the northwest of the object.

If you rotate your object as I have explained, then a Top Down view should have North at the top of the screen.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 26, 2016, 01:59:43 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is "Workspace / Model Space (Floating)". You can now work within the Viewport like you're in Modelspace; change the view, etc.

Then there are Camera Movements. Use the "Shift" and "Arrow" keys to rotate the view.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* December 27, 2016, 08:37:14 AM
@Jeffin90620 yes, north is at the top of the screen.  But, since I am trying to stick with landscape for simplicity, I would actually prefer north to the right.  I can select the viewport and that gives me a rotation handle, but rotating it does not change the view inside.

@JohnR  Workspace / Model Space Floating is grey unless the viewport is selected.  If I select the viewport, I can select that Workspace option, but I am unclear how it is that I would change the view.  Select everything and rotate?

The remark about Camera Movements got me hopeful since another task I need to tackle is adjusting the isometric views so that the point of view is closer in, so that the walls don't block so much of the view.  However, Camera Movements is greyed out in Paper Space.   I have done this kind of adjusting the point of view, but it was many years ago and was done in Model Space as I had not yet discovered the joys of Paper Space.

* December 27, 2016, 09:02:13 AM
OK, I had an inspiration and went to the Model Space, rotated the camera, and defined a new view and then applied that view to the Paper Space and I now have a Paper Space version that has the room rotated on the paper.

I am guessing that I can do the same for my interest in creating an isometric view from a closer point of view.

What is not immediately obvious to me is how one undoes the camera movements to get back to a normal view ... unless one just selects a different plan view.   ... Oh, and look at that, one can get back to the special camera orientation by selecting that view in Model Space.  Wish I had discovered that years ago!

* December 27, 2016, 11:14:36 AM
re: …Model Space (Floating)

I find it best to select the Viewport, then "Zoom Selection". When you activate "Model Space (Floating)", it's like opening a window into Modelspace without going there directly. Now you use "Shift+Arrow" keys to rotate the view (not the objects). Click outside the Viewport boundary to return to Paper Space or select "Model Space (Floating)" again from the menu. To reset the Viewport, reselect the "View Name" in Viewport Properties.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* December 27, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
With my discovery per the last post, I have easily accomplished both tasks.  Placing the camera is a bit tricky ... I wish there were a command for simply going closer or farther on the line of sight ... but it didn't take me long to get exactly what I was looking for.  Forum to the rescue!

* December 27, 2016, 01:16:42 PM
re: …I wish there were a command for simply going closer or farther on the line of sight…

Dynamic Zoom. Hold down the Ctrl key and mouse wheel or middle mouse button, then move the cursor towards or away from the center of the drawing area. It works best when the cursor is nearer the edge of the drawing area; slower moving. See Additional Devices Setup in the Wiki.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* December 27, 2016, 01:53:16 PM
I'll give it a try.  Thanks.   Is this moving the camera or simply what is on the screen at the time.

* December 27, 2016, 02:33:18 PM
It's moving your point of view, so I guess it's moving the camera. I've never dealt with Cameras, just Camera Properties (Ctrl+Alt+C). You can go to "View / Named View" and select your named view, then "Modify" to change it to the current view.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* December 28, 2016, 10:58:07 AM
I will experiment, thanks.  I already have a lot more control than I did.