TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

V21 Problem With Changing Coordinate Origin
Read 1215 times
* December 26, 2016, 10:34:56 AM
I'm wasting a lot of time setting points, etc. because I can't seem to get the coordinate origin to re-set.  I'm using Version 21. 

First problem is, according to the User Guide, the current coordinate origin is supposed to be shown by a red box.  Not on my drawings.

Second problem is, when I try and re-set the origin it doesn't happen.  I can click on the indicated box on the Coordinate Tool Bar or on the box under Mode and get the message to indicate where I want the new origin to be.  Then I click on a point and the origin doesn't change.

So, I'm sitting here with a calculator by my left hand so I can do the addition/subtraction from the thus far immobile coordinates to get to my new locations.  Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?  Seems like such a basic operation that one shouldn't have to search around for odd-ball settings or other obstacles to get it accomplished.

* December 26, 2016, 02:48:16 PM
It sound like you are looking for relative coordinates http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Drawing+Aids#Relative_Coordinates,  a few things to note, if you click the mouse anywhere, that will be your start point overriding the relative coordinate, and if you select an object for example need to move a line, the relative coordinate will be the centre of extents of the object not end points (relocating its ref point will put the relative start where you require.), and if you draw something and use undo, the relative coordinate will be the end of the undone object not the previous object.

* December 26, 2016, 06:27:03 PM
Yep, that was it.  Duh - absolute vs. relative - that's my penalty for being an occasional user.

Started doing that (successfully) and immediately lost my Magnetic Point capability.  Went to one of the posts in the Problems section and, following directions, went deep into my user files and deleted the contents of a couple of folders.  Ahhh.  Back to normal.

* December 26, 2016, 06:29:12 PM
Those were "Built In" files that were deleted.