TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Error Saving
Read 2859 times
* December 25, 2016, 12:27:14 PM
I have been not drawing for a while, but now have a requirement to do so again.  Using TCP 15.1, which may be part of the problem.  On my old desktop, which is Win7 converted to Win10, I started a new drawing from scratch, a very simple 2D drawing with only a few shapes.  After a while, I got a dialog box which said:

The error occured while file writing.  Probably file will be corrupt.  You should use 'Save As...' with another path to prevent the original file damage.  Please inform TurboCAD support group baout this occurrence.  Are you ready continue writing in spite of

The interesting language and incompleteness are in the original

If I abort the save, I get

Failed to save C:_Images\...\Drawings\tmp0.tcw:
Unknown error
(Path "./Styles/StyleCategories).

I saved the file under a new name and tried a couple of things like starting a new drawing and cutting and pasting the original drawing to it.  But, I kept getting this same dialog box, although I was able to print the drawing.

If I now reopen the file I get a dialog box:

The error occured while file reading.  Probably file is corrupt.  Wish you to continue reading in spite of everything?

I am in the process of moving to a new Win10 desktop, so I installed TCP there and started a new drawing using the Page Setup Wizard as I now wanted a more interesting 3D drawing related to the original.  I am getting the same errors there.

Is this telling me that TCP 15.1 is not compatible with Win10?    I am pretty sure the last drawing I did before these was when the box was still Win 7.

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

* December 25, 2016, 12:59:15 PM
Is this telling me that TCP 15.1 is not compatible with Win10?    I am pretty sure the last drawing I did before these was when the box was still Win 7.

In a roundabout sort of way, yes, a few people have reported problems with v15 and windows 10 , and this post from IMSI basically means it won't get fixed, http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,19404.msg115466.html#msg115466,   some people have uninstalled windows 10 and gone back to their previous system as the only way to get round the problem without upgrading.

if you have access to another computer (non windows 10) you could install there and us that for TC v15.

Here is one v15 problem thread http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,17458.msg102438.html#msg102438

* December 26, 2016, 07:38:09 AM
Running on another computer is not really a possible solution.  The curious piece so far is that the messages appear to be false, i.e., the file is not actually corrupt, but it is certainly nervous making.  I suppose I can cut down the irritation level by increasing the time between backups ... with the obvious risk.

Normally, upgrading would be the obvious move, but I have Pro Platinum and there is no trade-in for pre 17 so it is a big bite for something I am not using a lot these days.  I may be two years since I did any real project and that was all 2D and not very complicated.

The current project is a possible kitchen remodel, so I need 3D.   There was a remark in the thread you pointed to that Deluxe didn't do solids.  One thing I do fairly frequently is to create a rectangular solid (a wall, but not using the wall tool) and then create another solid and use the second one to subtract out a doorway or window.  Would I not be able to do that in Deluxe?

* December 26, 2016, 10:25:34 AM
Running on another computer is not really a possible solution.  The curious piece so far is that the messages appear to be false, i.e., the file is not actually corrupt, but it is certainly nervous making.  I suppose I can cut down the irritation level by increasing the time between backups ... with the obvious risk.

Normally, upgrading would be the obvious move, but I have Pro Platinum and there is no trade-in for pre 17 so it is a big bite for something I am not using a lot these days.  I may be two years since I did any real project and that was all 2D and not very complicated.

The current project is a possible kitchen remodel, so I need 3D.   There was a remark in the thread you pointed to that Deluxe didn't do solids.  One thing I do fairly frequently is to create a rectangular solid (a wall, but not using the wall tool) and then create another solid and use the second one to subtract out a doorway or window.  Would I not be able to do that in Deluxe?

Yes, you can do that in Deluxe.

Henry H

* December 26, 2016, 10:55:50 AM
Ah, Henry, a name I remember well from many previous helps.

That is reassuring ... but can you give me a hint as to what I can't do in Deluxe related to this lack of solid vs surface?

FWIW, I wish there was some more official input on what is going on here.  Fearing that Deluxe was not going to work, I started a fresh drawing with the Wizard and then bumped the autosave up to 60 minutes to keep it from driving me nuts.  Since then, I have managed the start on the drawing with no problem.  I got the error message on the save, but then closed the file and reopened it (with the error message) and all appears fine.

FWIW, I *am* logged in as administrator when doing this.

* December 26, 2016, 11:23:50 AM
There was a remark in the thread you pointed to that Deluxe didn't do solids.  One thing I do fairly frequently is to create a rectangular solid (a wall, but not using the wall tool) and then create another solid and use the second one to subtract out a doorway or window.  Would I not be able to do that in Deluxe?

By solids they will have meant ACIS,  TC deluxe used TC surfaces which are a sort of self healing mesh, they look like solids but have some limitations, for example in v15 pro you could blend (fillet) a 3d box to get rounded edges, which is not available in deluxe, and  there is no lofting tool in deluxe (if you used to use the loft tool), + a few more things, more, see this chart for comparison (the 'x' in the deluxe column means its included, no 'x' and its not available) http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=2016+Comparison+Chart

Although there are limitations, for a lot of people Deluxe is quite adequate, this link shows a good example of what can be achieved, http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18915.0.html, there is something that affects both deluxe and pro, the native rendering engine is different from your v15 so unless one pays extra for a plug-in then rendering will operate a little different.

All that said, if you can keep v15 pro working you would be better off in my opinion than switching to deluxe.   

* December 26, 2016, 11:48:43 AM
That level of render certainly exceeds my requirements.   I don't do things like filleting.   I did once use lofting, but that was when I was in hilly California, not flat Illinois! :)   And was years and years ago,.

* December 26, 2016, 12:00:42 PM
re: …but that was when I was in hilly California, not flat Illinois!…

In my area of northern Lake County, it seems more hilly than flat, but nothing mountainous like California.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* December 26, 2016, 01:32:09 PM
In Champaign, there is no need to draw terrain ...

* December 29, 2016, 12:26:43 PM
Very curious.  On another thread over here http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20222.0.html someone gave me a .dwg version of my file to see if it was displaying the same problem I was experiencing with colored lines in hidden line view, possibly also unique to Win10.  Not only did this solve the hidden line problems, but I got no error messages on the open or save.

What are the implications of continuing to work with .dwg instead of .tcw?