TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Hatching around text - 2016 deluxe, Windows 10
Read 1115 times
* December 28, 2016, 09:23:05 AM
I'm a very occasional user, and couldn't possibly earn my living with any CAD program (I used to earn my living doing it the old fashioned way).

I draw stuff for making garden railway rolling stock, and very rarely need to hatch anything, but now I need to do a drawing to get some etched brass components made, so I need to hatch all the areas to be half etched, or fully etched.

On part of the work I have rectangles, with text inside, and I want the text to be clear, and hatch the surrounding space inside an enclosing rectangle.  I don't recall having any issue with doing that the last time i needed to (some years ago) but right now I cannot manage to hatch around text, using the pick point hatching.  Most of the time I've tried today, the black text has shown up, and I've hatched round it apparently, but as soon as I switch off the text layer, the rectangle is fully filled, and not leaving the text as background colour like it should.  I do also still have V20, so tried it in that, but instead the hatch just overwrote the text instead, so I'm despairing now.

What basic error am I making?

* December 28, 2016, 09:54:49 AM
I made the text "Flexible" in Properties, then Exploded one time. The text becomes a Group of polylines. I then selected the Rectangle and the Group and used "Create Hatch". PickPoint Hatching missed the interior of the small "ä".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* December 28, 2016, 10:04:33 PM
You can also give the text a white background colour. Make sure display order of the text  is above the hatch.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:07:44 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* December 29, 2016, 04:49:33 AM
Thank you both!  Sorted!  Now I can continue to work out how to lay out this complex collection of bits to make most effective use of the available space.