TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Recurrent Work Plane error in LTE 9 x64
Read 2203 times
* November 27, 2016, 09:09:49 AM
In every drawing I have done, attempts to alter the length of certain lines produces the following error: "Selecting this object in 2D mode changes the drawing's Work Plane. Do you wish to continue?"

If I select YES, I lose zoom control, and the drawing will only zoom out and does so exponentially. Manual attempts to define the view/zoom fail.

I now immediately close the file without saving, and re-open it. Zoom control is restored, but further attempts to edit the affected lines produces the same message and loss of zoom control.

What am I doing wrong?

* November 27, 2016, 09:29:40 AM
In every drawing I have done, attempts to alter the length of certain lines produces the following error: "Selecting this object in 2D mode changes the drawing's Work Plane. Do you wish to continue?"

If I select YES, I lose zoom control, and the drawing will only zoom out and does so exponentially. Manual attempts to define the view/zoom fail.

I now immediately close the file without saving, and re-open it. Zoom control is restored, but further attempts to edit the affected lines produces the same message and loss of zoom control.

What am I doing wrong?

First thing you are doing wrong is selecting "YES" in that Warning Dialog.
I highly advise that you do not select "YES" unless you are quite experienced with TurboCAD and know what the consequence of clicking "YES" will be and you want that result.

If you are selecting a 3D Object (assuming you are using the "classic" Selector, not the Conceptual Selector; I know nothing about the Conceptual Selector) first toggle your Selector to 3D mode.  Alternatively, in Selector Properties/General, activate the option "2D/3D Depending on Selected Object... ".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:37:53 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 27, 2016, 09:45:10 AM
Any idea why this occurs with just specific lines -- all created in 2D using the "Line" or Linear Array commands?

* November 27, 2016, 10:24:30 AM
Any idea why this occurs with just specific lines -- all created in 2D using the "Line" or Linear Array commands?

Yes.  Probably:

With the Selector in 3D mode, you selected and moved and/or rotated a 2D Object-- either ignoring by clicking "YES" the (other... related) Warning Dialog, or had previously selected "Don't show this message again" when that Warning Dialog comes up.

That other Warning Dialog comes up to warn us that by moving and/or rotating a 2D Object with the 3D Selector, we are creating another Workplane (Coordinate System) and putting that 2D Object on it and making that Workplane the inherent Workplane of that 2D Object.

Then, later, with the Selector in 2D mode, we select one of those Objects that we inadvertently put on and assigned a different Workplane, resulting in the Warning Dialog that you originally quoted.

Safest to set your SelectorProperties/General to that "2D/3D Depending on Selected Object... " option.
You might also try activating the "Safe UCS Mode" option in 3D Selector Properties.

More than likely, if you have a lot of Objects in your current drawing, you have multiple Objects on Workplanes (with inherent Workplanes) that you do not want.
Clean-up of that can be easy-- or more difficult-- depending on how complex your drawing is.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 27, 2016, 10:41:32 AM
Below is a little .gif video I made in August and posted on another Topic-Thread that illustrates how we inadvertently mess up our drawings because of-- caused by-- what we've been discussing on this Topic.  TurboCAD version-20-ProPlatinum in the video is going to look and behave differently than your LTE-9, I'd assume; but it should be similar.

_____
I've said it a number of times in Posts:  This "issue" has got to be the most common and trouble-causing issue for lesser-experienced TurboCADers.
It took me years of intermittent working with TurboCAD before I finally got a handle on it.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:47:00 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 27, 2016, 10:52:04 AM

What am I doing wrong?

That's weird. Can you post a .tcw that contains a probem Line object?

Henry H

* November 27, 2016, 01:51:29 PM

What am I doing wrong?

Alan,
looks like a bug, I'd report it.

I tested with a new from scratch drawing.
draw a 12" horizontal line
select it
change Size"X" field to 24" hit enter, I get the warning and I hit "yes" = View is Frozen

> Something screwy is going on with the workplane.
Try being in 2d select mode with "General 2d selector properties" set to 2d mode.
In other words you're locked in 2d mode and try it again with a new line.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:07:53 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* November 27, 2016, 07:05:46 PM
Thanks, Dean... this is exactly what I encounter repeatedly. These are all simple 2D architecturals - very few objects, no 3D objects at all. I now never hit "YES" but once the warning box is displayed, the only way to salvage the drawing is to immediately "Close" without saving. Even entering NO, zoom control is lost and the every zoom attempt zooms out exponentially, and the drawing elements vanish.

If I close the drawing without saving, then re-open it, drawing control is normal again - until the next time.

There is no pattern to what lines will trigger this problem except that they are typically simple horizontal elements created with the Line command or copied from one.

* November 27, 2016, 07:11:07 PM
Thanks, Dean... this is exactly what I encounter repeatedly. These are all simple 2D architecturals - very few objects, no 3D objects at all. I now never hit "YES" but once the warning box is displayed, the only way to salvage the drawing is to immediately "Close" without saving. Even entering NO, zoom control is lost and the every zoom attempt zooms out exponentially, and the drawing elements vanish.

If I close the drawing without saving, then re-open it, drawing control is normal again - until the next time.

There is no pattern to what lines will trigger this problem except that they are typically simple horizontal elements created with the Line command or copied from one.

If you are drawing 2D only, then never toggle the Selector to 3D_Selector.
If the drawing you are working on now is 2D only and you want it to be 2D only, and you want to fix it as much as possible, then:

>Make all the Layers Visible and UnLocked
>Select All
>With all still selected, invoke the "Workplane by World" command
>With all still selected, invoke the "Place on Workplane" command

If this is to remain a 2D only drawing, remember-- moving forward-- never toggle the Selector to 3D_Selector.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 27, 2016, 07:18:45 PM
Thanks, Alvin... I actually did all of these things, but the problem immediately repeated itself. Aside from the first time, I never hit "YES", but the loss of zoom control occurs even with "NO".