TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Modifying Simple 3D
Read 4786 times
* November 22, 2016, 11:10:46 PM
Hi

We use a combination of TurboCad and SolidWorks at my company.

I have a question that on the face of it should be really simple but I can't seem to find a way of easily fixing it.

I draw a cylinder on Solidworks, using base geometry, for example, I draw a circle 10.5mm od and another 8mm id, then extrude it and it becomes a cylinder.

I then 3D print it and decide the bore should have been 9mm, so I simply change the size of the base geometry (8mm circle) to 9mm and the cylinder updates.

Is there a way to do this in Turbocad?

I have already put some holes down the side of my cylinder, but it seems I have to start the model from scratch again?

I have included an attachment for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

* November 22, 2016, 11:49:48 PM
For alterations like that in TC one can use the part tree, assuming that under Options menu, ACIS, 'create editing history' is ticked, Select the part and in the selection palette it should say part tree with all the operations one has done listed.

However it depends on how the part is drawn as to what alterations (if any) can be done, for example, in your drawing if the part was done by drawing a cylinder 10.5 , then drawing another cylinder 8 and subtracting, you can select the 8 cylinder in part tree (one may have to click the little plus sign next to subtraction) and change the cylinder radius to 4.5 (9mm diam),  but, if the part was drawn using compound profile by 'shift' selecting and extruding two circles, in the drawing one can simply select the 8mm circle and change its size.

Problems - if one used compound profile extruded circles and delete the 2D circle (or explode once) this breaks the association and cannot be subsequently altered,  also there are some operations which break the part tree, for example using the 'quick pull tool'

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Editing+3D+Objects+using+Selection+Info
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:51:49 PM by Andy H »

* November 23, 2016, 12:29:30 AM
Which version of turbocad are you using?
In the pro versions if you use compound profiles when you change the size of the original geometry the model should update.
I think the part tree is also only available in the pro versions.

In the deluxe version - try to always keep the original geometry in case you need to make changes.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 23, 2016, 12:43:07 AM
Thanks to both of you.

I'm on TC15 Pro.

I cannot find the part tree to save my life - I've ticked the option that means it is used, but don't know where to find the tree itself.

Solidworks uses something very similar.

Can you tell me where to look?

(I'll print off your help page Andy and see if I can work it out!)

Cheers

Tony
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:51:45 AM by merlineng »

* November 23, 2016, 12:57:06 AM
The PartTree will located in the Selection Info palette. To change the inside diameter, you may be able to select the Circle that was used in its creation and change its Radius in the Metrics section in the lower pane. The part may change to the new size if "Compound Profile" was used.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* November 23, 2016, 01:33:41 AM
Am I looking in the right place?

I've managed to highlight 1 cylinder (somehow) but can't find a way to change it's size using entered figures...

* November 23, 2016, 02:19:28 AM
The PartTree will located in the Selection Info palette. To change the inside diameter, you may be able to select the Circle that was used in its creation and change its Radius in the Metrics section in the lower pane. The part may change to the new size if "Compound Profile" was used.

Hi

I've created the same thing, but using two circles as the od/id and subtracted once cylinder from the other.

Changing the diameter of the originating circle only changes the circle (which is what I would expect).

I still can't see a way to change the cylinder dimensions.

Thanks

Tony

* November 23, 2016, 05:13:23 AM
I started tc on version 17 so excuse the dumb questions - or bad advice
does your version have compound profiles?
If they do you must enable compound profiles before extruding the circle.

With the pro version you only need one circle to create a tube - give the extrusion an offset value in properties, to give it a wall thickness.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 23, 2016, 07:14:47 AM
Am I looking in the right place?

I've managed to highlight 1 cylinder (somehow) but can't find a way to change it's size using entered figures...

You have selected the cylinder using the Edit tool, which allows you to change the Radius and/or Height by changing the corresponding value(s) in the Inspector Bar at the lower left of your screen. (I think this method works only on "primitive" objects, "Cylinder" being an example.)

Henry H

* November 23, 2016, 10:43:30 AM
This is what I get using a Cylinder and the Shell tool to open the ends. I also threw in the five holes.

I changed the Shell size in the PartTree from -1.25 to -0.75 which changed the inside diameter from 8 to 9. Dimensions in TurboCAD don't associate themselves to 3D objects.

Are you using TurboCAD V15 or TurboCAD 2015?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 23, 2016, 11:37:30 PM
I can see how that makes perfect sense looking at your screen John.

However, I've just created a simple cylinder (primitive) and when I select it, I don't get the part tree that you see.

I also don't get any mention of the fact it's a cylinder when I click on the 'Cylinder' in the part tree (that doesn't say it's a part tree).

I'm on TC2015 Pro

Thanks

Tony

* November 24, 2016, 12:28:35 AM
As a native object single items can be altered in the inspection bar, the selection info should change to 'part tree' once an operation has been carried out, for example subtracting another cylinder from it.

This IMSI video shows what should happen when using part tree.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESf7QrLw1Ow

* November 24, 2016, 03:53:17 AM
Ok - I'm confused now.

I've replicated that video - but stopped pretty quickly as the BOX option simply doesn't appear on my part-tree.

Does anybody know why that would be?

Thanks

Tony

* November 24, 2016, 04:43:24 AM
Ok - I'm confused now.

I've replicated that video - but stopped pretty quickly as the BOX option simply doesn't appear on my part-tree.

Thanks

Tony

At the top of the Selection Info Palette (the Selection Info Palette is also where the "Part Tree" is displayed and utilized)-- in the top bar, above the top pane-- there is an icon named "Filter".  Any chance that is set to "***Hide All***".

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 24, 2016, 06:28:50 AM
Afraid not Alvin.

Set to show all.

:-(

* November 24, 2016, 08:25:43 AM

However, I've just created a simple cylinder (primitive) and when I select it, I don't get the part tree that you see.

I also don't get any mention of the fact it's a cylinder when I click on the 'Cylinder' in the part tree (that doesn't say it's a part tree).

I'm on TC2015 Pro

Thanks

Tony

I suspect that there's something wrong with your TCad installation, Tony. In addition to the four categories shown in your Selection Info palette, there should be one more. In this particular case, that one more would be called "Cylinder," and it would give you access to Base Radius, Height, and Slope Angle.

Henry H

* November 24, 2016, 11:48:02 AM

I'm on TC2015 Pro

Thanks

Tony

Here's a file with a Simple Extrude and Cylinder. You won't see "PartTree" until you use the object in a modifying operation; such as 3D Subtract, etc. Attached is a 2015 TCW file (shown in the picture) that you can peruse. The PartTree in TurboCAD starts at the bottom and goes up. The last change is at the top.

Hope this helps.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 24, 2016, 11:03:03 PM
That's not actually correct according to the video posted by Andy H - it clearly shows a 'box' in the part tree, even though a primitive box is the only operation in the workspace.

I don't get any primitive descriptions no matter what I do.

I suspect my installation is faulty - I also have the identical installation at home, and I'm pretty sure it's the same, but I will check tonight.

Cheers

* November 25, 2016, 06:57:40 AM
Ok - I'm confused now.

Thanks

Tony

see attached video, Tony > click on it to activate the Gif.
> does that help

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* November 25, 2016, 07:22:51 AM
> does that help

Dean, I think what Tony means is the object property for box, cylinder etc is missing from his installation, see attached
I haven't found any way do duplicate this (haven't tried manually editing the xml files)

November 25, 2016, 09:30:51 AM
I've been a little frustrated with this since using Creo for ever. I can't seem to figure out how to accurately re position the holes placed in the side of the cylinder (or box). Please excuse me if I should have started another discussion.

Don Pillow
TurboCad Platinum Pro 2016, 2017, BobCad 30-4 Axis, ArtCam, AutoDesk Fusion and Inventor,  Affinity Designer, VariCad 2017, Sketchup 2017, Rhinoceros V5
HMSAdviser  and Predator CNC Editor
+ a lot of Photo Editing and Astronomy Software
www.dp-designs.biz

* November 25, 2016, 11:26:19 AM
I've been a little frustrated with this since using Creo for ever. I can't seem to figure out how to accurately re position the holes placed in the side of the cylinder (or box). Please excuse me if I should have started another discussion.

In TurboCAD Pro editions, I think we can use the Facet Edit tool for that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:29:40 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 25, 2016, 06:22:52 PM
> does that help

Dean, I think what Tony means is the object property for box, cylinder etc is missing from his installation, see attached
I haven't found any way do duplicate this (haven't tried manually editing the xml files)

If he doesn't have the fields shown in the picture, he's using Pro Basic. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to leave those fields out of Basic, as that is the less expensive Pro application. Yet Deluxe does have them.  ::)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 25, 2016, 06:34:35 PM
> does that help

If he doesn't have the fields shown in the picture, he's using Pro Basic. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to leave those fields out of Basic, as that is the less expensive Pro application. Yet Deluxe does have them.  ::)

That was really a lousy idea.

Henry H

* November 25, 2016, 07:26:48 PM
They're accessible from the Inspector Bar with the edit tool invoked.  Do they become available in the selection info once the box is a part of a part? 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:41:00 PM by murray dickinson »

* November 25, 2016, 09:08:19 PM
In Pro Basic, I can use the "Edit Content" to access a Part, but there nothing in the Selection Info palette to change. Metrics tells me it's a Box, but there's no size info. The Inspector Bar Size fields may be limited with some objects outside of the basic Box, Cylinder, Sphere; Rotated Box comes to mind.

Pro Basic, a no frills program.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 27, 2016, 02:41:22 AM
Dean - I can see exactly what you're demonstrating - I it is what I would expect to see.

John R - you've hit the nail on the head.

I'm using Pro Basic - wtf is that? I never even realised there were different levels of Professional.

How can you have something called Pro Basic - the two words simply don't go together.

It's like saying, here's your new Tesla - this is the fast/slow model.

I'm a bit annoyed - been fooled for years thinking I'd got 'the good one'

:'(

I'll contract IMSI and see what I can do about it.

Tony

* November 27, 2016, 05:29:31 AM
I'm a bit annoyed - been fooled for years thinking I'd got 'the good one'
 :'(
I'll contract IMSI and see what I can do about it.
Tony

Do you have the original E-mail from when you purchased your TC, to show which one you paid for,  only reason for asking is that sometimes even if one purchases TC pro platinum, one installed as the basic version using a first serial number, then had to type in a second serial number to upgrade to the platinum once TC was installed, though I can't remember which versions this applied to.

* November 27, 2016, 06:18:26 AM
I'll see what I can find - it's soooo long ago I doubt it.

But IMSI should have it on record...

Thanks

Tony