TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

TurboCAD 3-D scanning
Read 704 times
* June 26, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
I wonder if you can help me please?

I am building a off road mobility scooter and I need to 3-D scan components and then import them into TurboCAD (21 delux) to allow me to design the scooter.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

What file type does the 3-D scanning software have to produce to allow it to be imported into TurboCAD?

Thanks,

Steve
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:28:45 AM by steve@divingcornwall.com »

* June 26, 2016, 02:02:39 AM
A year ago I purchased a 3-D scanner (a Dream3D Scanify) which was a total disaster - although it scanned the X-Y directions accurately it consistently got the Z direction wrong.
After a lot of searching I eventually discovered an amazing program called 123D Catch. It's made by Autodesk and is totally free.
To use it you take a series of digital photos (8 to 12 is usually enough) from various angles around the object, then use the program to send them to the website. In due course (around 30-50 mins) the photos are returned together with a 3-D model of the object. 
I used the STL format for the model. Since the photos you take include the space surrounding the object, its necessary to remove it by editing it out. AutoDesk supply another free program called MeshMixer for editing 3-D models. After editing you can save the result as an STL and import it into any suitable CAD program.
You can also send it to a Slicer program and 3-D print it. I don't know about TC Delux, but TC Pro can open STL files.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5