TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Was there a known fillet problem with Pro v 14.2 ?
Read 2693 times
* May 26, 2016, 08:31:56 AM
Attached is a simple drawing with a rectangle that is 6 x 24 mm.s . I would like to fillet all corners with a 3MM radius. When I attempt this in TCW Pro 14.2 I get a message about "the radius may be too big". I have to crank the radius down to 2.9 or something to get it to work. But it should work since the shortest edge is twice the radius.

Does anyone remember if that was a standard situation back in the day, know a work around, or spot any error I might have made?

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* May 26, 2016, 10:18:54 AM
Not just v14, happens to varying degrees in many versions, for example in v16 deluxe it would fillet 3 out of the 4 corners.

Type in a very close figure, so if you normal scale unit precision is set to 2, then type in 2.9999, I tried 2.999999 in v14 and it filleted ok.

## Edit ## forgot to mention, if you search the forum would will come across a method of clicking both parallel sides which will fillet the whole edge all at once to your 3mm radius, however it makes the rectangle longer in the process, so needs compensating for (or shortening after),  it's basically whichever workaround you feel most comfortable with. ## End Edit ##
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:27:50 AM by Andy H »

* May 26, 2016, 11:18:49 AM
I couldn't get it to work in V14 Pro, but the Fillet tool did work in V15 Pro.
My workaround in V14 was to use the "Circle Tangent to Entities" tool.
  • Click on the three lines at each end to create a circle.
  • Activate the "Trim" tool, select both circles (use Shift key), then trim the corners off the rectangle.
  • Escape.
  • Select the remaining Lines and trim the circle interiors.
  • If needed, use Join Polyline to make the remaining four segments a Polyline.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* May 26, 2016, 03:05:59 PM

Not just v14, happens to varying degrees in many versions, for example in v16 deluxe it would fillet 3 out of the 4 corners.

Type in a very close figure, so if you normal scale unit precision is set to 2, then type in 2.9999, I tried 2.999999 in v14 and it filleted ok.

## Edit ## forgot to mention, if you search the forum would will come across a method of clicking both parallel sides which will fillet the whole edge all at once to your 3mm radius, however it makes the rectangle longer in the process, so needs compensating for (or shortening after),  it's basically whichever workaround you feel most comfortable with. ## End Edit ##

Thanks for the feedback!

My precision was set to 10. I'm not sure what the point of lower precisions is these days, unless you have a mammoth project.

I was able to do the all-at-once fillet in v16.2 without trouble.

I looked for the method with the two sides at once. It's odd that it increases the length of the object -- not the width. I could understand how increasing the width would help.

The 2.999999 method is probably the ticket in 2D. However, I also have the problem in 3D sometimes, and then it required a much larger error margin.

Thanks again!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* May 26, 2016, 03:07:36 PM
I couldn't get it to work in V14 Pro, but the Fillet tool did work in V15 Pro.
My workaround in V14 was to use the "Circle Tangent to Entities" tool.
  • Click on the three lines at each end to create a circle.
  • Activate the "Trim" tool, select both circles (use Shift key), then trim the corners off the rectangle.
  • Escape.
  • Select the remaining Lines and trim the circle interiors.
  • If needed, use Join Polyline to make the remaining four segments a Polyline.

Thanks for the work-around!

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* May 26, 2016, 06:35:54 PM
Another way is to fillet two corners of the rectangle, mirror it across the midpoints, and 2D intersect the two.  V17 has a right-click menu item to produce a polyline from filleting, and the 2D Boolean makes a region that'll need to be exploded to segments for further editing.

* May 28, 2016, 11:12:47 AM
Does version-14 have the Insert Arc option when using the Edit Tool (in Local Menu and Inspector Bar)?

In version-20 I am able to:
>Using the Edit Tool, hover over one of the corner nodes select a polygon; this brings up the "Radius" field, along with others, in the Inspector Bar
>Type "3"(mm) in that Radius field
>Right-click on that corner node and, in the Local Menu, select "Insert Arc".  A fillet is created.
>Repeat for other corner
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:56:43 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 28, 2016, 12:12:51 PM
Does version-14 have the Insert Arc option when using the Edit Tool (in Local Menu and Inspector Bar)?

>Using the Edit Tool, hover over one of the corner nodes; this brings up the "Radius" field, along with others, in the Inspector Bar
>Right-click on that corner node and, in the Local Menu, select "Insert Arc".  A fillet is created.
>Repeat for other corner

That's a great solution, Alvin! Almost as fast as filleting would be. So ... wonder what the hang-up with fillets is (was)?

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* May 28, 2016, 12:49:21 PM
So ... wonder what the hang-up with fillets is (was)?

I don't know.  I assume it's an algorithm issue.

In version-20, I can do a 2D fillet using a value that is half (or more-than-half; but not the segment length) the length of the segment.  But that's only on one corner.  Once I do the procedure on one corner, the program won't allow me to do it to the other corner of the segment.  I get the same error message that you got.

Likewise in version-20, I can't pre-set the "Fillet corners" option when inserting a Rectangle to something that is half (or more) than the segment length, and have it work when the rectangle is inserted.  (example:  I can't insert a rectangle that is 6mmX6mm and preset the "Fillet corners" option to 3mm and-- when having drawn the 6X6 rectangle-- actually have the corners filleted)

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 28, 2016, 12:54:01 PM

>Using the Edit Tool, hover over one of the corner nodes; this brings up the "Radius" field, along with others, in the Inspector Bar
>Repeat for other corner

By the way:  The "hover over..." isn't necessary.  Just activating the Edit Tool and selecting the object brings up the Radius field in the Inspector Bar.  In version-20 anyway.

Alvin Gregorio

June 01, 2016, 03:46:40 AM
I looked for the method with the two sides at once. It's odd that it increases the length of the object -- not the width.
What I discovered is that, after clicking parallel lines to create a perfectly round Fillet replacing the end line between the two parallel lines, I could Undo, then Fillet as usual (the two pairs of lines that have common corners).

With rare exception, that will Fillet the end without extending it.

As near as I can tell, the exception arises when half the length of the end line cannot be precisely expressed by the resolution (and, yes, even 10 bits can fail).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 01, 2016, 01:21:28 PM
I looked for the method with the two sides at once. It's odd that it increases the length of the object -- not the width.
What I discovered is that, after clicking parallel lines to create a perfectly round Fillet replacing the end line between the two parallel lines, I could Undo, then Fillet as usual (the two pairs of lines that have common corners).

With rare exception, that will Fillet the end without extending it.

As near as I can tell, the exception arises when half the length of the end line cannot be precisely expressed by the resolution (and, yes, even 10 bits can fail).

I'm not sure we're still talking about 14.2 here, nor doing all 4 corners. I can fillet 2 individual corners, but any attempt to fillet ALL the corners gives me the radius-too-large error. I've tried it after undo, but it still gives me the problem.

However, thanks to everyone here, I do have a lot of work-arounds!

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2