TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Non-Asociative Dimensions with XRefs and Drafting Palette
Read 2166 times
* April 30, 2016, 09:07:03 AM
I have noticed that sometimes my dimensions applied using the drafting palette are not the proper scale or associative.  After not finding anything on the forum explaining my circumstances I did some of my own research.  This is what I found:

Short Version
Simple solids will not (always?) produce associative dimensions.  The workaround is to complicate them, for instance by drilling a hole in them.  Adding limbs to the history tree seems to change a switch somewhere.

Long version
Draw a 2D cross section
Extrude the section to a solid
Save the file
Start a new file
Read the solid extrusion file as an xref into the new file
Move the xref to model space
In the drafting palette create a part assembly with that xref, pick a view (plan) and add.
Insert view into paper space.
Put a dimension on the part.  It is not associative, does not translate when the view is moved, and is the paper space distance.
Switch to the extruded part file, put a hole through it and save the part
Switch to the xref file, reload the xref using the block function.
Go to the paper space view and apply a dimension.
It is now associative, does translate when the view is moved, and is the model space distance.
Even if you go back to the extruded solid file and remove the hole, the dimensions remain associative.

One of the odder glitches I have discovered.

Verified in Version 20 and 2016 (which I have decided not to purchase - but that's another topic).

Hope I can save someone else a couple of hours.

Matt

* April 30, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
Matt,
can you post a drawing and a screen capture of your drafting palette opions.
Also, if you are working in Redstuff mode switch to GDI mode.> Located in > Menu options >Native draw

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* May 01, 2016, 05:17:54 AM
Same result in GDI mode

Palette option screen dump attached.  2016 was right out of the box with the update. Did you try to duplicate my issue?  Just curious - I am pretty sure I am not crazy!

* May 01, 2016, 06:43:58 AM
Works for me though you really should post a drawing :P so if you want me to guess>and describe a "General" scenerio  that should work>
Try and check(enable) everything in the drafting palette options.
After making a change to your Xref in its inherent file >When you open the other drawing with the Xref >reload it >
Now,when you go to the drafting palette a prompt should pop up asking  you to update, click yes. the dimensions should update. this is with the drafting region in paperspace.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:46:44 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* May 01, 2016, 08:57:55 AM
Hi Dean

I made a short flash movie of what I did but it is too large to upload (there is a 4MB limit and the file is a little less than 8). If you want I could mail it to you.  I don't think I can make it much smaller and still have it clear enough to show the odd behavior.

Regardless, thanks for the attentive ear.  You can get a hold of me out of forum at
matt.soule@snet.net

Matt