TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

3D drawing help needed......
Read 2442 times
* April 12, 2016, 06:30:19 AM
I am trying to learn to create 3D drawings so I can cut them from foam.
Here is a video showing what I want to create and what I have done so far.
https://youtu.be/BAZJnRqZyVA

I think I am very close. But, I do have a few issues that I can't figure out.

Thanks

* April 12, 2016, 07:55:09 AM
That's an interesting drawing,  do you still have v21 pro, if so - I'd personally use that instead of v15 especially if 64 bit computer, also another personal thing is, I would go to options palette - drawing setup and turn off 'draw form building edges' (which I assume is ticked at present) for general TC use as it can speed up screen redrawing and moving about, form building is good for checking if a loft is twisted but I think can slow things down in general.

That warning is an odd one and not something I have personally seen, but it has been reported on the forum before with people using Windows 10, though no known solution was posted, http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,17458.msg101871.html#msg101871

As for the drawing, the loft you have already done at the end really needs lofting 'with' the other profiles which will then loft as a curve, however it may require the profile moving  a bit to get the correct curvature, the last bit I would use more profiles, which if aligned correctly should be able to curve nicely,  Colin Reid has done some work on aircraft wings - his finished plane is here http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18061.msg106018.html#msg106018

If you wish to post a file someone will probably have a go and suggest some possible solutions.

* April 13, 2016, 12:39:27 PM

* April 13, 2016, 03:32:26 PM
Can I ask a question, do you have access to v21 pro, as I don't have v15 on this computer, I can get the drawing back to v15 if necessary by saving back multiple times but would be simpler if you have v21.

Not finished having a play with it yet but the reason for all the line wasn't as I first thought, you appear to have used the join polyline tool, which is a bad thing to use on splines, it converts the spline to loads of polyline segments which not only slow down TC, it can also cause problems with lofting etc. and isn't a smooth surface but multi-faceted (and looks terrible).

Better to use the compound profile option when lofting, Anyway just working on a wing so shouldn't be long and I'll post the way I would approach it, others may have a different approach.

* April 13, 2016, 06:22:36 PM
Tried to save back from v21 to v15, but file got corrupted, so have attached a pic instead for now, may try again when I get chance.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:41:34 PM by Andy H »

* April 14, 2016, 06:51:55 AM
"Yes" I have V21 pro but since udating to win10 it will no longer load. (I just see the spinning circle)
I am afraid to do anything for fear that V15pro will no longer work either. That would not be good.

Can I ask a question, do you have access to v21 pro, as I don't have v15 on this computer, I can get the drawing back to v15 if necessary by saving back multiple times but would be simpler if you have v21.

Not finished having a play with it yet but the reason for all the line wasn't as I first thought, you appear to have used the join polyline tool, which is a bad thing to use on splines, it converts the spline to loads of polyline segments which not only slow down TC, it can also cause problems with lofting etc. and isn't a smooth surface but multi-faceted (and looks terrible).

Better to use the compound profile option when lofting, Anyway just working on a wing so shouldn't be long and I'll post the way I would approach it, others may have a different approach.

* April 14, 2016, 05:10:37 PM
HI

Finally got the v15 file saved without giving an error, when I had reinstalled v15 on old computer (after hard drive failure) I'd forgot to apply the patches to v15.1 and v15.2.

As for v21, there is one thing you could try which (99% sure) should have no affect on v15,  go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\21x64 (if your TC21 is 64 bit else it may just be v21) there is a single folder called professional, delete it, then try opening v21, if v21 opens Tc will replace the folder and all its contents with new 'default' values, obviously only delete it within the v21 folder, there will be another on called v15, obviously don't delete anything in there. doing this will wipe out all you v21 configuration / history / materials etc, in case any of these were causing the problem using v21.

Andy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:32:50 PM by Andy H »