TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Ellipse in 3D
Read 3164 times
January 07, 2010, 06:57:46 AM
Questions while I was using Pro 15 in 3D:

!.  While inserting an ellipse, and placing a line tangentally connecting its long axis, while its isometric points (not the long axis) of the ellipse highlight.  Am I doing something wrong?

2.  If making a Jpeg file from the TurboCAD file they are most definitely not the same size, as the Jpeg shows the entire part not a local view.

3.  Just for my edification, in inserting a photo on top of the TC image, does the picture allways need to be a rectangle not just the subjects outline?

Thanks.

Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

* January 07, 2010, 08:03:25 AM
1. I'm not sure about this. I didn't find an ellipse.
2. When saving as a JPG, click o the Setup button in the Save As dialog and choose "View".
3. The initial image will be rectangular. You can place a closed 2D object over the image and use "Clip Raster Image" (Tools menu) to change its shape.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* January 07, 2010, 10:15:08 AM
Bob, could you elaborate on this?

"While inserting an ellipse, and placing a line tangentally connecting its long axis, while its isometric points (not the long axis) of the ellipse highlight."

Henry H

January 07, 2010, 11:43:50 AM
Henry:

Yes sure, if you look at the shortest bit of wire from its end view, the outer surface actually becomes deformed into an oval-like object from a true circle now having a elliptical segment (half) on the top, and the other half of this elliptical on the bottom.  All these two surfaces are connected with flat sides (lines) but on the major axis.  You may have to zoom in on a wire-frame mode to see the elliptical section if going to the right end view.

Bob

* January 07, 2010, 11:55:46 AM
Henry:

Yes sure, if you look at the shortest bit of wire from its end view, the outer surface actually becomes deformed into an oval-like object from a true circle now having a elliptical segment (half) on the top, and the other half of this elliptical on the bottom.  All these two surfaces are connected with flat sides (lines) but on the major axis.  You may have to zoom in on a wire-frame mode to see the elliptical section if going to the right end view.

Bob

OK, I see that, Bob. But I don't understand what the problem is.

Henry H

January 08, 2010, 06:14:15 AM
Henry:

The issue is the ellipse highlights a location all right, but not on the largest dimension of the ellipse but inboard toward the arc’s center, as if to attach some item like building an isometric drawing.  It highlights at the tangency point (representing a tilted circle) not the long axis length of the ellipse used- perhaps I’m going at it the wrong way?

Bob

* January 08, 2010, 12:49:31 PM
Henry:

The issue is the ellipse highlights a location all right, but not on the largest dimension of the ellipse but inboard toward the arc’s center, as if to attach some item like building an isometric drawing.  It highlights at the tangency point (representing a tilted circle) not the long axis length of the ellipse used- perhaps I’m going at it the wrong way?

Bob

Bob, what are you trying to do? I cannot find an ellipse in your drawing. There are 159 Lines, 4 Splines, and 2 Circles. No Ellipses and no Arcs.

Henry H