TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Newbie - Lofting problem
Read 1851 times
* January 06, 2010, 12:16:54 PM
The attached file has a bunch of profiles (made of polylines) lined up.  When I select 3D loft and choose them all, Turbocad locks up (white screen and 99 % processor useage) and never returns.  If I just loft between two profiles, it seems to work ok.  However, I need to select them all at once, I'm trying to achieve a smooth, spline-like surface over the length of the object.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Using Turbocad Pro 16.2.

[attachment deleted by admin]

January 06, 2010, 01:52:44 PM
It is because each profile has a extremely large number of nodes. The program cannot calculate the operation. You will need to use non 'join polyline' profiles with the Use Compound Profile option to loft.

I would create the profile with tangential circles and trim as needed. Or something along this line.

Be sure to leave layer 0 visible as the program uses this layer for internal processes. Do not lock layer 0.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:56:01 PM by Don Cheke »

* January 06, 2010, 02:04:12 PM
Your profiles are too complex for the program to handle. They contain from 674 to 2182 vertices each. Redraw them by tracing with the Spline tool, being aware that you'll probably have to edit the result to match the original. (Eight to ten points should be enough for a good fit.) Best procedure is to draw just one new profile, then reposition and edit copies of that  one to serve as the additional profiles. Don't change the number of nodes/vertices when editing, because all profiles shouldl have the same number of vertices for best results.

Also, you don't really need that many profiles.

Henry H

* January 06, 2010, 02:10:53 PM
Thank you both very much!

* January 06, 2010, 06:33:02 PM
Your profiles are too complex for the program to handle. They contain from 674 to 2182 vertices each. Redraw them by tracing with the Spline tool, being aware that you'll probably have to edit the result to match the original. (Eight to ten points should be enough for a good fit.) Best procedure is to draw just one new profile, then reposition and edit copies of that  one to serve as the additional profiles. Don't change the number of nodes/vertices when editing, because all profiles should have the same number of vertices for best results.

Also, you don't really need that many profiles.

Henry H