TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Help Slice by surface
Read 3120 times
* November 01, 2015, 07:01:57 PM
I am trying to create some stiffeners to support the bends in the sheet metal part attached. I have created an extrusion where I want to place a stiffener, my idea was to slice it and that would provide the profile for stiffener, however it needs to butt up to more than 1 surface and I am not sure if that is why it is not allowing me to slice it? Any ideas???

* November 01, 2015, 07:41:29 PM
The slicing surface must extend beyond the object being sliced.

Henry H

* November 01, 2015, 08:07:39 PM
Is there another way to "trace" the profile of the bend and 2 faces on that angle?

* November 01, 2015, 08:41:40 PM
Is there another way to "trace" the profile of the bend and 2 faces on that angle?

Would Slice by 2 Points work for you. A Layer was created for the main bracket, another for the new support bracket, and the last just to show the sliced parts. Construction lines were used to create the profile outline and the main bracket layer was turned off leaving the new support bracket. Slice along the angle and Slice along the horizontal delete both sections and turn on the main bracket layer again, mirror if necessary. I'm sure others will chime in with more efficient approaches, but this is mine. I hope it helps in some small way.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* November 01, 2015, 08:43:20 PM
Use the Intersection tool. It'll give you set of 3D Polylines, Elliptical Arcs and some Lines.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* November 01, 2015, 09:08:04 PM
Use the Intersection tool. It'll give you set of 3D Polylines, Elliptical Arcs and some Lines.

This definitely gets me closer John R, once I have the intersection lines however I cannot join them with the join polyline tool? I was going to join them, extrude and shell them? Your way works as well Don, but if I can figure out how to use with the intersection tool, should be pretty quick method.

* November 01, 2015, 10:37:33 PM
I set the workplane to that extrusion that intersects. I then traced over the Intersection parts with the 2D Polyline tool. Extruding that 2D profile won't work, but a Loft to second profile might. The current trace lines won't work, as a Loft would be inside the current part. You'll need to offset some lines-n-arcs off the trace lines.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* November 02, 2015, 08:20:07 AM
To create a stiffener plate in the plane of your zero-thickness extrusion:

Shell the extrusion to the desired thickness of the stiffener (red object in the attached screenshot). 3D-Subtract the large object from the shelled extrusion, with "Don't remove the subtrahend" enabled. Explode the stiffener two times, then select and delete the portion that's outside of the large object.

Henry H

* November 02, 2015, 02:26:28 PM
Awesome thanks Henry!

* November 02, 2015, 09:05:54 PM
I have used Henry's method to create the stiffner however have not used mirror copy before, I am having difficulty copying it into the position I want on the opposite side, could anyone please give me a step by step?

* November 02, 2015, 11:45:04 PM
I am trying to create some stiffeners to support the bends in the sheet metal part attached. I have created an extrusion where I want to place a stiffener, my idea was to slice it and that would provide the profile for stiffener, however it needs to butt up to more than 1 surface and I am not sure if that is why it is not allowing me to slice it? Any ideas???

Open the drawing and select Plan View and Plane by World. Click on the new stiffener to select it, press the Mirror Copy to Activate it, 'M' Snap the left edge of the bracket, press and hold down the Shift key and pull the mouse to the right, press Enter and there should be a Mirror Copied object. Press the Space Bar or Esc. to finish. FWIWI thought the stiffener was going to be on the underside of the bracket.

See attached.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:14:29 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.