TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

3D parts don't stick where I put them . . .
Read 2882 times
December 24, 2009, 09:22:53 PM
in TCAD 16.1 using either/both TRANSFORM MOVE and GENERIC TRANSFORM, setting the workplane on the destination, parts and assemblies *look* like they snap into place, but they're actually somewhere in another plane.  Surface and solid models both.  I make multiple re-moves and then sometimes they stick.  I don't know why and why not.  Same problem when using assemble by three points. 

Can anyone tell me what's going on ?  I'm seriously frustrated.  This should be so easy.

Thanks !
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* December 24, 2009, 09:45:54 PM
in TCAD 16.1 using either/both TRANSFORM MOVE and GENERIC TRANSFORM, setting the workplane on the destination, parts and assemblies *look* like they snap into place, but they're actually somewhere in another plane.  Surface and solid models both.  I make multiple re-moves and then sometimes they stick.  I don't know why and why not.  Same problem when using assemble by three points. 

Can anyone tell me what's going on ?  I'm seriously frustrated.  This should be so easy.

Thanks !
Steve

Repositioning is more likely to succeed if you work in an isometric view, and define both source and destination by Snapping to vertices rather than to mouse position.

Henry H

December 26, 2009, 09:56:16 PM
Right, exactly Henry !  That's why I'm so frustrated - that's what I've been doing, even zooming in real close to make sure I was picking and snapping to the right vertex.  :-[  I've since found that GENERIC TRANSFORM is more likely to work when moving something from one plane to another, and TRANSFORM MOVE is better for same-plane moves.   Still mostly in the dark.   Going to work some more tonight, maybe I'll figure out more.  Thanks !  Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* December 27, 2009, 09:38:11 AM
Try this.

1. Open the attached

2. Select Assemble by 3 Points

3.  Select the cube on the left... and notice the prompts at the bottom of your screen

4. Using snaps or SEKE... click on the the corner where the red line is (source point)

5. Using snaps or SEKE... click on the corner of the right cube where the other end of the red line is (destination point)

6. Do this for the other corners/lines the same way.

This should give you an idea how this works. Generic Transform works similarly... like I indicated in your other post.

The colored lines are there just for your reference... kind of like connect the dots  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:02:09 PM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* December 27, 2009, 07:49:05 PM
Try this.

1. Open the attached

2. Select Assemble by 3 Points

3.  Select the cube on the left... and notice the prompts at the bottom of your screen

4. Using snaps or SEKE... click on the the corner where the red line is (source point)

5. Using snaps or SEKE... click on the corner of the right cube where the other end of the red line is (destination point)

6. Do this for the other corners/lines the same way.

This should give you an idea how this works. Generic Transform works similarly... like I indicated in your other post.

The colored lines are there just for your reference... kind of like connect the dots  ;D

Thanks for the great tip Greg...

Don

* December 28, 2009, 11:44:22 AM
You're welcome, Don. Hoped it got the point across... it was kinda crude.  ::)

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

December 28, 2009, 11:51:49 PM
Thanks Greg.  I'll check it out.  BTW, I never could find my earlier post, so I missed your response.  So I've been dogging away at it, and getting more consistent results.  Too late tonight, but can't wait to see what you sent.  Argh, early on the learning curve, still feel like a stumblebum.  Love the program though.

Happy Holidays!
Steve