TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Entity CS change trick in v16.2 ??
Read 1901 times
December 24, 2009, 09:00:45 AM
Okay...  v16.2 has more settings than v11.2, so perhaps I need to change a setting.  Hopefully there is an answer to this one.

I have used the trick for changing an objects coordinate system (by 3D adding, selecting the object with needed coordinate system *last*) in v11 a lot, but it doesn't seem to work in v16.2 at all.  Or if it does, it's not showing up by way of the selector shell and rotation bars (Selector configuration Extents CS set to "Entity CS".)

I did a brief experiment in both v16.2 and v11.2 to show what happens:

-Box made in the WCS
-Workplane by Facet using the side of the box
-Sphere made in the new UCS (selector shell shows the different coordinate system)
-3D add both, selecting the box first
-Selector shell shows WCS in v16.2, not what should be the changed Entity CS

Doing the experiment in v11.2 yields the expected results (change in Entity CS shown by selector shell). 
I've attempted to change various settings in v16.2 with no effect.  Interestingly, from v16.2 I did a save as DWG format.  When I reopen the DWG file in v16.2 it shows the selector change as I would expect.

See below for a simple visual.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Being able to manipulate an added object using a different selector CS than World has always been helpful to me; I would hate to have to abandon that technique--not to mention the ability to visually verify a change in the object's CS for other reasons.  Many thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* December 24, 2009, 09:20:59 AM
Nowadays the required sequence is just the opposite. (I don't recall which was the first version to use the revised system.) To change the WP of Entity "A" to the WP of Entity "B," you must Boolean-add by clicking Entity "B" first. The two entities need not touch or overlap; and if you wish, you can separate them after adding by exploding the result one time.

Henry H

December 24, 2009, 11:57:49 AM
Nowadays the required sequence is just the opposite. (I don't recall which was the first version to use the revised system.) To change the WP of Entity "A" to the WP of Entity "B," you must Boolean-add by clicking Entity "B" first. The two entities need not touch or overlap; and if you wish, you can separate them after adding by exploding the result one time.

Henry H

I was just about to reply with "I already tried doing it reversed and I just did it again with no luck" when I hit the Explode button and sure enough, the axes reoriented correctly.  Apparently the change in CS doesn't manifest itself with the Part Tree connected to it.  You must explode once to reset the Part Tree OR have the Part Tree turned off.  I thought I had turned it off to do the reverse-order experiment earlier in the day, but I must have turned it off *after* doing the boolean operation, which was apparently my problem.

Thanks, so much, Henry.  I've used this technique a lot, so I'm grateful that I can still use it.    ;D

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com

* December 24, 2009, 04:31:14 PM
You must explode once to reset the Part Tree OR have the Part Tree turned off. 

I'd forgotten that part. Sorry for the confusion.

Henry H

December 24, 2009, 06:40:46 PM
You must explode once to reset the Part Tree OR have the Part Tree turned off. 

I'd forgotten that part. Sorry for the confusion.

Henry H

No problem...  I figured it out about 2 minutes after I read your post.   :)

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com