TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Loft is not following guidelines accurately
Read 892 times
* September 20, 2015, 04:18:44 PM
Hello,

I created a loft in TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2015 (version 22.1.40.5) 64 bit using 3 profiles and 4 guidelines (3D splines). To ensure that all guidelines touch all profiles, I precisely placed each of the three profiles so that I knew the exact XYZ coordinates (to six decimal places) of the four points on each profile that each guideline needed to pass though in order to touch all profiles. I then created  the four guidelines (3D splines) by hand-entering these coordinates in the coordinate fields (3 sets of XYZ coordinates per guideline).

My issue is that I wanted a subtle curve on the top and bottom of the loft, but the loft did not precisely follow the guidelines. The TC engine did not follow the guidelines precisely and created angular instead of curved paths. Please see the attached file for details.

You will also notice in the file, that I have also did the same thing using 11 profiles precisely placed with four guidelines but the loft resulting from that is no more accurate then the one using three profiles.

Any ideas on how to get TC to follow guidelines more accurately would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

* September 20, 2015, 07:11:20 PM
If you zoom way in, you'll note that the Spline doesn't quite touch the profile (See attachment). Taking the Splines one at a time, select it in the Edit mode, be sure that "Edit fit points" is enabled in the Inspector Bar, and vertex-snap each node to the appropriate vertex on the profile.

The resulting Loft still will not follow the guidelines exactly. To fix it, go to Options>Acis, enable "Expert Faceter Parameters," and set "Surface Tolerance" to 0.001. Leave the other parameters alone.

Henry H
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:14:50 PM by Henry Hubich »

* September 21, 2015, 05:35:26 PM
Henry,

Thank you for the very helpful comments, I have been struggling with this for quite some time now.

Very much appreciated.

Cheers!