TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Line weight and PDF
Read 5833 times
* September 13, 2015, 09:56:44 AM
I am doing a drawing where one of the consumers has limited eyesight.  To make it easier for him to see, I am experimenting with using a heavier line than I would ordinarily use.  If I print direct from TC15 to the printer, .01 and .02 are very noticeably different.   If I print from TC to PDF and then print to the printer, the difference seems to disappear.

Is this expected?

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

* September 14, 2015, 05:57:22 AM

from TC15 to the printer, .01 and .02 are very noticeably different.   If I print from TC to PDF and then print to the printer, the difference seems to disappear.
[/quote]

What PDF printer are you using? There are several free versions available Bullzip, Cute, Primo etc.that do a good job. Turbocad  PDF does not work very well.
The attached PDF shows a few line weight examples, they printed properly.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* September 14, 2015, 06:45:54 AM
I'm using Acrobat ... admittedly not the latest version, but the real thing.

* September 14, 2015, 06:50:09 AM
What are these scaling values?  I am just setting the line width to .01 or .02 in the bar at the top.  The results are much line the first three in the two examples on the left side, i.e., no apparent difference across several values.  I have no doubt I could get a difference if I made the value high enough, but then the drawing would lose readability too much.

* September 14, 2015, 07:55:05 AM
No problems in Version 2015 but I see that you're using Version 15,It's very difficult to say what the problem is without having your drawing file so lets start with trying this >
> assign all objects in the drawing > pen properties  color="by layer" > width/scaling="device" width/value="by layer"
> Make your line weight and any other changes in the layers palette.
In paperspace set up a viewport and print current to pdf.
If you still have problems try changing the width/scaling to "world'" and make the line weight adjustments.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (NO Redsdk Plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

* September 14, 2015, 08:15:07 AM
What are these scaling values?  I am just setting the line width to .01 or .02 in the bar at the top.  The results are much line the first three in the two examples on the left side, i.e., no apparent difference across several values.  I have no doubt I could get a difference if I made the value high enough, but then the drawing would lose readability too much.

I work in Millimetres.

DonCW
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10

* September 14, 2015, 10:12:33 AM
  • I made a chart of my Line widths in V15.
  • Placed a Viewport of it into Paper Space.
  • I printed it to paper and PDF.
  • I printed the PDF to paper, then compared the two.
I didn't see any difference in the width of the actual printed products.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* September 24, 2015, 11:25:25 AM
I think I have just realized the source of my problem ... almost all of my prints are Hidden Line.  I can make lines which are significantly heavier in wireframe, but move them to hidden line and that extra weight disappears.

So, any way to make the hidden line heavier?

* September 24, 2015, 05:32:19 PM
I think I have just realized the source of my problem ... almost all of my prints are Hidden Line.  I can make lines which are significantly heavier in wireframe, but move them to hidden line and that extra weight disappears.

So, any way to make the hidden line heavier?

Curious, could you please post one of the those problem prints.

DonCW
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10

* September 25, 2015, 08:44:36 AM
I have posted previous versions of the TCW, but here is a specific view and the latest TCW.  In this version, the line weights are all down to 0, but during the redraw from the prior version I did try bumping the weights as high as 0.025, which made the wireframe quite noticeably heavier, but the hidden line was not.

* September 25, 2015, 09:59:19 AM
I have posted previous versions of the TCW, but here is a specific view and the latest TCW.  In this version, the line weights are all down to 0, but during the redraw from the prior version I did try bumping the weights as high as 0.025, which made the wireframe quite noticeably heavier, but the hidden line was not.

Thomas, have you tried "Set custom hidden line style"?

Henry H

* September 25, 2015, 11:43:00 AM
I had seen that, but somehow I had the idea that was the style for the hidden lines! :)

It does seem to work.  Thanks.

* September 25, 2015, 11:44:51 AM
Err, no it doesn't.  I was right the first time.  That makes the hidden lines visible.

* September 25, 2015, 02:13:57 PM
I had seen that, but somehow I had the idea that was the style for the hidden lines! :)

It does seem to work.  Thanks.

It is. I thought that was your problem.

Henry H

* September 26, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
No.  The option for showing dashed or other lines for the lines which have been hidden is potential valuable, at least in some cases.  But, my problem is that the lines which make up the visible lines are at minimum thickness in the hidden line view, regardless of the width they are defined in the model.  Normally, that wouldn't bother me, but the ultimate consumer of the drawings has very poor vision so I am looking for ways to make the drawings easier for him to see.  The fine lines just present very little contrast.

* September 26, 2015, 11:53:52 AM
Thomas, I just ran a test with your Box7.tcw in TCad v15 Pro, and the heavier line weight looks good. I went to Isometric_SE, selected all, set Pen Width to .02 in, rendered in Hidden Line. Created a new View comprising what was shown on the screen. Printed to CutePDF Writer, specifying the Current View to be printed. Opened the resulting .pdf in Adobe Reader and printed it to my HP Officejet Pro 8600. Line weights are nice and heavy. Repeated that procedure with all Pen Widths set to zero. When printed out, the lines are all thin -- substantially different from before, and not nearly as easy to see on the printed page.

Bottom line: It oughta work.

Henry H

* September 26, 2015, 12:49:29 PM
Well, now that I try it again, yes, I am getting a result as expected.  Can't say what was wrong with the earlier test ...