TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Opening Large Files That Are Not Native .tcw
Read 1836 times
* December 23, 2009, 09:01:14 AM
Do you think it's possible for TC 16.2 to open really really big files from a different CAD program.  I know TC claims it can open these file types but I'm not sure if it'll be able to open these large files.  Either TC is hanging or it's just taking a really long time.

The files in question that I received from a supplier are a .dxf file that is about 250 Mb and an .stp file that is 160 Mb.

I'm debating if these files are corrupt because they came from a zip file that was only about 100 Mb which unpacked to about 500Mb.  I had no idea you could compress a file that much, but you never know.  Does anybody know how long it might take to open a file as big as these regardless of file format.

Cameron Blair

* December 23, 2009, 09:19:57 AM
Sounds like a good task for the Autodesk DWG. free viewer.May be asking for trouble with TC.Good chance it will soak up to many resources in TC and hang or crash.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112&DCMP=ILC-DWG-PUV
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:35:35 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

December 23, 2009, 11:56:30 AM
Do you think it's possible for TC 16.2 to open really really big files from a different CAD program.  I know TC claims it can open these file types but I'm not sure if it'll be able to open these large files.  Either TC is hanging or it's just taking a really long time.

The files in question that I received from a supplier are a .dxf file that is about 250 Mb and an .stp file that is 160 Mb.

I'm debating if these files are corrupt because they came from a zip file that was only about 100 Mb which unpacked to about 500Mb.  I had no idea you could compress a file that much, but you never know.  Does anybody know how long it might take to open a file as big as these regardless of file format.
Hi,
I did a small test and opened a DXF file about 194 MB in TurboCAD v16.2, it took less than 4 minutes!

Just to compare file size, this DXF file (194 MB), size as a DWG file is about 21 MB, and the same file saved as a TCW file is only about 6 MB.

When this DXF file (194 MB) is compressed to a ZIP file the compression ratio is about 7% (size about 13 MB).

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:03:05 PM by Lars Maltha »

Thanks!
Best regards,
Lars
www.lm-illustration.dk

(TurboCAD PRO PLATINUM v2018 64bit)