TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Need more memory
Read 2159 times
August 31, 2015, 03:12:45 AM
TC2015 Redshit, sorry Redsdk, keeps telling me I need more memory after freezing up my 32 bit version. Not that I'm doing anything too fancy. Only seems to have started since updated to latest build (40.5). Any work arounds for this anyone know of? Or do I just need 64 bits and more RAM than my usable 3GB.

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M

August 31, 2015, 04:17:18 AM
TC2015 Redshit, sorry Redsdk, keeps telling me I need more memory after freezing up my 32 bit version. Not that I'm doing anything too fancy. Only seems to have started since updated to latest build (40.5). Any work arounds for this anyone know of? Or do I just need 64 bits and more RAM than my usable 3GB.

Steve,
I can understand your frustration, and, can see you might find it a real pita to upgrade your hardware, or, to be forced into it.
But, given the need to meet current and future demands, I can't see any realistic alternative.  I have now 'acquired' a 64bit PC from Mrs S (she  got a new laptop) and I must say that many things are eased by the transition.  My first PC had 32Mb of memory, and would still be in use now had things not 'improved' so much.  Now, I have 16Gb to play with.  TurboCAD complains far less, and, I don't even get to use Red-what-ever-it-is, as my Nvidia graphics card is only usable with Lightworks.  Hey ho, that's the way it goes!

I hope you find a suitable solution soon.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

August 31, 2015, 11:19:01 AM
And even with a 64-bit machine, running the 32-bit version of TurboCAD on it will still have the same memory limitations.

However, there is a possible workaround for a bit extra memory.

While I haven't done this myself, you could add more RAM (totaling 6-8 GB) to your 32-bit machine, then assign a RAMDisk to use the extra memory above 4 GB.

BE VERY CAREFUL THAT THE RAMDISK SOFTWARE YOU CHOOSE SUPPORTS OPERATION ON A 32-BIT MACHINE WITH MORE THAN 4 GB TOTAL RAM.

Once that is done, modifying your bootup to use the RAMDisk for system memory (instead of regular RAM in the bottom ) will free up a few hundred megabytes.

Here's a link to one source: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk.  One of the versions is free.

This link promises access to memory when you've got a 32-bit system with more than 4 GB of RAM: http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-ramdisk/index.html

To be blunt, you are better off going to a 64-bit machine, but if budget is a concern, adding RAM and a RAMDisk utility will provide some relief.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

August 31, 2015, 11:32:44 AM
More information on what you have to worry about if trying to boost memory on a 32-bit system is available here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-3.html

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

September 01, 2015, 03:17:08 AM
I don't even get to use Red-what-ever-it-is, as my Nvidia graphics card is only usable with Lightworks.  Hey ho, that's the way it goes!
Regards Tim
I have Nvidea GeForce 310M which does run Redsdk but not very well. I have been having some issues with rendering with TC 2015 and currently experimenting with render settings to see what does what to my system. With TC 18 (using Lightworks) my system used to switch to 'basic display mode'? when rendering due to 'incompatibility with graphic card' (or something along those lines) but I don't get that message with TC 2015. It just crashes my system, in that it shuts my computer down completely. Always seems to start up normally, no need to hit enter to reboot normally, just have to turn back on and back in business. Sometimes manages to do save and generate crash report but often not, shuts down too quickly to do it. Not sure if this is due to memory issues or possibly overheating graphic card or what.

Thanks for checking out memory options Jeff. Did a bit of reading of links and although tempting as it may, still a bit daunting for my level of computing knowledge. Probably better off upgrading my system. It struggles now and I don't think I should strain it any more in fear of breaking it permanently. I only have the old Toshiba Satellite at the moment and really need it for study and other things so don't want to risk stuffing it up now. Although the battery is useless, the back lit display is broken, the SD card reader doesn't eject the card anymore but has to be retrieved with tweezers, and makes this terrible noise sometimes if I move certain way, I still grind on and hopefully the computer will too (touch wood) ;).

Cheers ya'll.

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M