TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Having trouble using trim on a rail sweep
Read 1809 times
* December 22, 2009, 08:46:45 AM
I have Turbocad deluxe v12.  I am using Windows XP.  Does Modify Trim work on a rail Sweep?

I have made a polyline rectangle and rail sweep this to be a 3d object and wanted to then fit that in a cirle and trim everything of the rail sweep not inside the circle.

I have tried it wih the circle as the cutting edge and this did not work.  I have inserted lines where the rectangle extends outside the circle to be used as cutting edges.  This does not work.

So my question was does trim work on a rail sweep?

Thanks

William

* December 22, 2009, 10:21:53 AM
I have Turbocad deluxe v12.  I am using Windows XP.  Does Modify Trim work on a rail Sweep?

I have made a polyline rectangle and rail sweep this to be a 3d object and wanted to then fit that in a cirle and trim everything of the rail sweep not inside the circle.

I have tried it wih the circle as the cutting edge and this did not work.  I have inserted lines where the rectangle extends outside the circle to be used as cutting edges.  This does not work.

So my question was does trim work on a rail sweep?

Thanks

William

Nope. That tool works only on 2D objects. Do this: Simple Extrude your circle, with "Two sided extrude" enabled,  to a height greater than the thickness of the Rail Sweep. Activate the 3D Intersect tool; click the Rail Sweep; click the extrusion.

Henry H

* December 23, 2009, 11:51:37 AM
Cool that worked fine.  I do have a question on why two sided extrude instead of
simple extrude?

William

* December 23, 2009, 01:22:14 PM
Cool that worked fine.  I do have a question on why two sided extrude instead of
simple extrude?

William

Simple extrude would work fine, but assuming that the circle and the path of the sweep lie on the same plane, you would  have to adjust the Z location of the extrusion to make sure it engulfed the sweep before using the Intersect tool . Two-sided extrude makes that adjustment unnecessary.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:56:02 AM by Henry Hubich »

* December 25, 2009, 08:01:17 AM
Thanks That makes sense.
William