TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Basic Laptop Rack
Read 4162 times
* July 16, 2015, 07:37:38 AM
Made this simple rack so my laptop would have better circulation underneath for the fan and cut back on heat build up. Also it’s more comfortable when typing on incline and the visibility of the keys are more clear than resting on a flat table top.
It can disable into three pieces to fit in brief case. At the certain points in the two joints connections is a dowel pin with slip fit in a mating hole for assembly which I didn’t illustrate. Made of 316 stainless steel. Simple and functional for travel. Might be a good job for 3D print with really strong plastic like Celazole (trade name ).Pretty cool Huh!  :-)

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

July 16, 2015, 08:18:27 AM
Great idea and a terrific render!

* July 16, 2015, 08:40:02 AM
Made this simple rack so my laptop would have better circulation underneath for the fan and cut back on heat build up. Also it’s more comfortable when typing on incline and the visibility of the keys are more clear than resting on a flat table top.
It can disable into three pieces to fit in brief case. At the certain points in the two joints connections is a dowel pin with slip fit in a mating hole for assembly which I didn’t illustrate. Made of 316 stainless steel. Simple and functional for travel. Might be a good job for 3D print with really strong plastic like Celazole (trade name ).Pretty cool Huh!  :-)

Great idea.....and simple too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:22:32 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 16, 2015, 09:16:55 AM
That's just great, Don; an idea whose time has come.

Henry H

July 16, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Simple, cool and functional - what else could a user want?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

* July 16, 2015, 11:51:54 AM
Simple, yet effective. Nice work and great idea. Can you make it foldable rather than come apart? Make it pivot where the two short upright pieces are.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* July 16, 2015, 12:04:45 PM
Simple, yet effective. Nice work and great idea. Can you make it foldable rather than come apart? Make it pivot where the two short upright pieces are.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Henry H

* July 16, 2015, 01:21:48 PM
Not much I can add, I agree with everyone - great idea and so simple its wonderful.

July 17, 2015, 03:34:57 AM
Just goes to show, the best ideas are often the simplest.  You could make a few dollars with that and I hope you do.

In the beginning there was light but someone stopped paying the bills.......

* July 17, 2015, 07:12:21 AM
Just goes to show, the best ideas are often the simplest.  You could make a few dollars with that and I hope you do.

So do I. Coming up with a great idea is one thing; making money from it is a different matter altogether.

Henry H

* July 21, 2015, 07:52:31 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike over course the years I have accumulated mixture of projects that were created with Turbocad and thought of making and odds and ends mail order website of marketable products such out door furniture,tools,paintings kitchen utensils, glass ware,boating accessories, assortment of things etc.. Things that I'm not equipped to do I would outsource to artisans that have the capabilities.But I never put all together.And probably only yield a little money.And probably not worth the energy.I always appreciate the kind words and thoughts that my fellow turbocad members offer in the forum. :)

W.D.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

July 23, 2015, 09:42:59 PM
Nice. Been playing with this idea for decades - I patented the LapLift in 1993, and got scooped anyway. Made a few bucks for a while. Then resurrected the idea in 2012 with the attached folding version. Originally it was designed to provide a wrist rest when portables had keyboards right at the front, then the whole idea was obsoleted by portable makers' case design change, with a wrist rest in the front. Even so, having an even larger palm rest is more comfortable. I pitched the idea on Quirky, got no traction.

You know about all the 3D model selling sites there are now? I sold a 3D model on cgtrader. Search on this - there's now dozens of selling sites, where you can post your model library and make a few bucks with no more work. Even better if your objects are 3D printable. Good luck.
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

August 08, 2015, 07:13:20 PM
WD, damn that is a good idea!

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.