TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Drag trails
Read 4180 times
* June 10, 2015, 02:51:21 PM
When I select and drag a 3D object it often, but not always, leaves a dense trail of black lines. The refresh button clears these away after completing the drag.

This is more of an aggravation than a problem because the drag always works, but additional keystrokes are needed to clean up the screen and it looks awful. Is there a setting I need to make or is this a bug of some sort?

TC 2015 build 30.1, LW Plugin, Win 8.1

BG

* June 10, 2015, 03:36:22 PM
Video driver up to date?

Does it happen if you pick up the selection by its reference point to move, instead of dragging?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 10, 2015, 04:55:43 PM
John,

My driver is up to date. I always pick up the reference point to move the object. Any suggestions?

BG

June 10, 2015, 06:05:39 PM
Happens to me also.  2D and 3D.  I attribute it to my lower-end system-- and lack of "graphics card"; cuz the more "tired" my computer gets, the more it occurs.  It's very annoying, I know.

Happens worse on my second, non-laptop, monitor: ASUS VE278- 1920x1080.  I attribute that also to my lower-end system and its not being able to handle my good second monitor very well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:13:38 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 10, 2015, 06:25:29 PM
When I select and drag a 3D object it often, but not always, leaves a dense trail of black lines. The refresh button clears these away after completing the drag.

This is more of an aggravation than a problem because the drag always works, but additional keystrokes are needed to clean up the screen and it looks awful. Is there a setting I need to make or is this a bug of some sort?

TC 2015 build 30.1, LW Plugin, Win 8.1

BG

That happens to me if the object's Line Width is not zero; otherwise there are no trails.

Henry H

* June 10, 2015, 10:24:13 PM
I finally got upstairs and tried the Win 8.1 computer, but couldn't replicate the problem. I've seen it happen in older versions of TC (under particular circumstances), but not lately.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 11, 2015, 09:58:51 AM
I'm glad that others have seen this. Based on Henry's comment about line weight, I did a little testing this morning.

At line weight zero-no trails. At .01 some small flecks if you look closely. At .02, very noticeable across the whole line width. At .05 one end of the line leaves a trail.

Same results for a polyline rectangle and triangle. Circles leave no trail at any line weight. Color has no effect.

At least three of us have seen this with different hardware and software versions, others probably have also. I suspect that this might be an unaddressed bug.

BG
TC2015 Pro w/LW Plugin, Win 8.1, 8g RAM

* June 11, 2015, 10:08:05 AM
I think it's "windows" i have seen similar (at times) in other programs. Maybe windows 8 is different using certain types of drivers as John R says.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* June 12, 2015, 11:59:53 AM

I ran TC16 Pro today and did not see any trails in any files including a new file opened with the Architecture template. Same computer and Win 8.1. This suggests to me that it is not necessarily a Windows issue.

Also in TC2015 Pro, dragging leaves behind a square, black ghost image of the reference point, regardless of the line weight.

TC2015 Pro, build 30.1, LW Plugin, TC16 PRO, 8g RAM

BG

June 15, 2015, 08:21:19 AM
Under Options-->Native Draw are you set to use GDI or RedSDK?

* June 15, 2015, 03:07:21 PM
Travis,

The setting is GDI.

I noticed the trails after installing the build 30.1 update. I don't remember seeing them prior to the update. The trails also occur if the object is selected and rotated with one of the handles.

I think the update set everything to the defaults which would be RedSDK. Could I have missed a setting to disable RedSDK and set LightWorks as my render engine?

TC2015 w/LW Plugin, 8g RAM, Win 8.1

BG

June 17, 2015, 09:13:30 AM
Under GDI is the flicker free draw box checked?

You're correct than an update will reset the settings to RedSDK.

To make sure your rendering is set to LightWorks check the camera properties. Easiest way to get there is to right click on one of the tea cups in the local menu.

June 17, 2015, 04:27:04 PM
I have a quadro 2000 with 16 gig of ram and since my upgrade from V20 to 2015 we have been having a lot of issues with render and redraw including what you are seeing.  Moving the drawing once rendered past draft mode is impossible.   

I have been making small changes in the nvidia control panel and it has been making improvements, but still no where near as good or fast as it was in Version 20.  Since the upgrade we have been doing our rendering in Blender and using Turbocad for nothing but draft mode.  We even downgraded our drivers to the older version listed on the Redway site, but no luck.

Today we purchased the Lightworks plugin to see if it would help at all and it didn't.  I have to believe that the it is possible to get rid of all this glitching but we haven't found it yet.

Between Redsdk, Lightworks and the GPU, there are dozens of settings possibilities and we haven't been able to find any guidance on what any of those settings should be from any of the sites.  We purchased the 2d and 3d training for a couple of our new employees and I checked it and there was no guidance there for settings.

So basically we are just trying stuff to see if we hit on anything and If we hit a vein, I will be sure and post it.  Right now, if you have a control panel for your gpu, I would start there as it has had the largest impact for us.

Jack
Windows 7
2015 Pro-Platinum

* June 18, 2015, 05:20:35 AM
Travis,

The settings are:

GDI, Flicker checked

Tea cups:
Wireframe: Wireframe, Wireframe
Hidden Line: Hidden Line, Hidden Line
Draft: Lightworks, Gouraud
Quality: Lightworks, Raytrace Full
Advanced: Lightworks, Depth of Field, None

Are there other settings?

BG

* June 18, 2015, 06:56:45 AM
Travis,

The settings are:

GDI, Flicker checked

Tea cups:
Wireframe: Wireframe, Wireframe
Hidden Line: Hidden Line, Hidden Line
Draft: Lightworks, Gouraud
Quality: Lightworks, Raytrace Full
Advanced: Lightworks, Depth of Field, None

Are there other settings?

BG

There are lots of other settings, but those are the ones I use (except for Advanced, which I rarely use anyway.)

Try UNchecking "Flicker free draw." Might help; might not.

Henry H

* June 18, 2015, 03:39:07 PM
Henry,

Checking/unchecking the 'flicker free' box has no effect on the trails.

There is now a LW selection under 'Wire Frame' and 'Hidden Line'. But, selecting either or both of those causes other interesting and undesirable things to happen. Also, they don't seem to stay selected and revert to 'Wire Frame' and 'Hidden line'.

Interesting.

BG

* December 09, 2019, 08:07:49 AM
I know this is an old topic, but I am curious if there is a solution. For me, I get trails when moving a picture (dense - it does not completely erase the picture during the move), when using the 'strech' selection box, and at other times during a draw. I am using 2019 Delux V26.0 on a relatively powerful machine. I only have the GDL option under native graphics and have tried the FlickerFree selection checked and unchecked with no difference.

* December 09, 2019, 01:22:24 PM
I know this is an old topic, but I am curious if there is a solution. For me, I get trails when moving a picture (dense - it does not completely erase the picture during the move), when using the 'strech' selection box, and at other times during a draw. I am using 2019 Delux V26.0 on a relatively powerful machine. I only have the GDL option under native graphics and have tried the FlickerFree selection checked and unchecked with no difference.

Yeah, a picture does behave that way for me too. Press F5 to clean up after moving it.

Henry H

December 09, 2019, 01:26:09 PM

Yeah, a picture does behave that way for me too. Press F5 to clean up after moving it.

Henry H

Does it help any to turn off "Show Object while Dragging" in Selector Properties?

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 09, 2019, 03:26:30 PM

Henry H

Does it help any to turn off "Show Object while Dragging" in Selector Properties?

Sure does!

Henry H