TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Help with a twisted plate
Read 3266 times
* December 07, 2014, 09:28:47 PM
I have attached a copy of my turboCAD file for anyone who wishes to step up to the plate.  I'm running V12 Pro.

The problem appears simple enough, the attached drawing is an outline of a plate, but it is twisted.  The goal is to create a solid from this outline but you cannot change the geometry.

Many thanks
Philip

December 08, 2014, 05:06:52 AM
I have attached a copy of my turboCAD file for anyone who wishes to step up to the plate.  I'm running V12 Pro.

The problem appears simple enough, the attached drawing is an outline of a plate, but it is twisted.  The goal is to create a solid from this outline but you cannot change the geometry.

Many thanks
Philip

One way:
  • One at at time, Use Workplane by 3 Points on each end to establish a Workplane
  • One at a time, after establishing the Workplane, Use the 2D- Rectangle, Polygon, or Polyline Tool to draw the ends, Vertex-Snapping to each corner (if using the Polyline Tool, remember to click "Close" in the Local-Menu before finishing the drawing-of-Polyline operation)
  • Use the 3D- Loft or Prism Tool to loft the two closed 2D Objects you just drew to create a Solid.  In the Loft or Prism Properties/3D page, select "Solid" before doing the operation.
That's what I did in the screen-capture below.  Then I copied-in-the-Y-direction the Solid I just drew, and assigned to it the Material Metal/StainlessSteel.
I have Quality Render, Foreground Wireframe set to "Renderable Objects"= Yes, and "Suppress Hidden Line"= Yes (and a custom Hidden Line style).  I don't think you have that ability in version-12; I just did it for visualization purposes here.

-Alvin

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:10:37 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 08, 2014, 10:39:01 AM

Many thanks
Philip

Hi Philip, ( see attachment) using V21 platinum. I had to kick tcad in the arse :)
< just to be clear > I added a "0" after the -0.31 = -0.310
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:04:23 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (NO Redsdk Plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

* December 08, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
What I did - in v12 pro, unlock the layer the object is on, select loft tool, enable compound profile option, click bottom polyline, right click-choose finish selecting profile (or click it on navbar),  click top polyline, choose finish selecting profile again, then choose finish, it lofts as a solid 'bent' bar

* December 08, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
One way (much like Andy's, I see now): Place all of the 3D Polylines except the two that outline the large faces of the plate on a new invisible layer. Activate the Loft tool, with "Use compound profile" enabled. Loft the two visible 3D Polylines.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:36:58 PM by Henry Hubich »

* December 08, 2014, 04:12:44 PM
What I did - in v12 pro, unlock the layer the object is on, select loft tool, enable compound profile option, click bottom polyline, right click-choose finish selecting profile (or click it on navbar),  click top polyline, choose finish selecting profile again, then choose finish, it lofts as a solid 'bent' bar

Yes,  "use compound profiles" ON >works , I used the loft with compound profiles OFF. Tcad was confused and was reporting an error. Adding a "0" made the loft work which proves that this might be a bug and perhaps the file should be looked at by IMSI. It should work either way.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:15:54 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (NO Redsdk Plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

* December 08, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Another thought on a "twisted plate", get a Platinum edition of V16 or later that contains the Twisted Extrude tool. It might make things a little easier.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 04, 2015, 10:43:12 PM
First I want to than all for their replies to my post they have all been helpfull and enlightning.

After the first post I managed to achieve the desired outcome using lofting.  Infact the solution has been used many times since to reverse engineer a number of aluminimum castings where a draft is needed.

Thanks again
Philip