TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Questions on snaps
Read 2273 times
* March 26, 2015, 06:37:35 PM
I have been using TC 9 platinum for years. I only do 2d stuff a couple times a year. I was running it on Windows 7 and had no problems. My new PC is Windows 8.1. TC 9 loaded fine but snaps are working strange. On my windows 7 machine, when I use (for example) vertex as the snap mode I can start a line at a vertex and stretch and move the line wherever I want. If i'm not at a vertex it won't let me attach the other end of the line but I can move and stretch the line with no restrictions. On my Windows 8 machine, once I pick the start point of the line it is automatically snapping the end point of the line to any nearby vertex. I can move it around with the mouse but it jumps from vertex to vertex. Is this a Windows 8 behavior or is there some setting that got set on the new machine that was different on the old one.

On a related note, in case I have to move to a newer version of TC I downloaded a trial of TC 2015 Deluxe. In this version snap behavior isn't what I am used to either. If I select vertex as the snap mode on the toolbar I can still start and end lines at any point, not just a vertex. If I go into the local snap menu and select vertex it works as I expect and only snaps to a vertex. Is this also a setting I am missing?

If I can get TC9 working OK on Windows 8 is there any reason to move to a newer Deluxe? Will I lose much by going to Deluxe given that I only do simple 2d stuff for woodworking projects?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Dennis

* March 27, 2015, 06:30:39 AM
It seems to me that Windows 8 had issues with TC. There are posts about some of the issues, whether any are related to snaps I don't know. I use Windows 7. If you want to get a newer deluxe version have you check into versions 19-21, might be cheaper. (Cadcourse, amazon, ect.)

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* March 28, 2015, 06:58:55 AM
Ken,

Thanks. Turns out the issue with Deluxe 2015 was a setting that allowed snaps to be anywhere if the tool couldn't find a snap point.

If anyone has any suggestions for my Windows 8 TC 9 pro snapping issue, please chime in.

Finally, if I do decide to upgrade to TC Deluxe (say v19 or 20) to save some cash, am I going to lose any functionality going from TC 9 Platinum given that I only do 2D and, then pretty simple stuff?

Thanks!

Dennis

* March 28, 2015, 07:15:31 AM
I think the concern would whether the the newer versions would load a version 9 file. If you have a file or two that I could check to see if it loads and displays correctly. I think 2D would be a less of a problem that a 3D model.  You can download from the internet the TurboCAD 18 User Guide to compare the differences between version 9 and the new versions. I never had version 18 though. I had problems with version 14 I think. Personally I liked the versions 19-21. These can be used with the older GUI. (Classic) if you don't the default GUI. I started out on version 10.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:13:20 AM by Ken Simmons »

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* March 29, 2015, 08:07:47 AM
As a test, a moment ago in v2015 Pro I opened half a dozen drawings created in v7.0 Pro. The earlier versions treated illumination differently, but otherwise the drawings opened and rendered with no problems.

Henry H

* March 29, 2015, 04:44:11 PM
Ken, Henry,

Thanks for all the replies. I figured out my other snap problem. The "show magnetic point" option was on which was giving me the strange behavior I hadn't seen on my windows 7 machine. So for now TCW9 appears to be working fine on Windows 8.1.

As far as moving from TCW9 Pro to TCW 19 or 20 Deluxe, my concern wasn't so much if my old files would open in the new tool (thought that is important), but rather are there any capabilities my old pro version might have that a newer Deluxe would not. I have downloaded the trial version of 2015 Deluxe tried a couple of my old drawings and the normal tools I use are all there but just wondering if there is something that will come back and bite me later because that odd function isn't in Deluxe.

On a related question, would you suggest TCW Deluxe 19 which comes bundled with the CAD fundamentals training/video or TCW 20 which is not clear if it comes with the fundamentals training or not. I am leaning towards TCW Deluxe 20 as being newer will give a better chance of having updates when Windows 10 comes out.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Regards,

Dennis

* March 29, 2015, 06:35:54 PM
"...are there any capabilities my old pro version might have that a newer Deluxe would not."

Yes, but as far as I know, they are all 3D tools: blending and chamfering edges, and shelling solids.

There's no need to ditch your old pro version. You can have many different TCad versions on the same machine.

Henry H