TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Wireframe to solid
Read 3446 times
* March 22, 2015, 07:49:28 AM
Hello, folks.  My first post:)

I have 19 Pro.  What I can't figure out is how to simply convert a 3D wireframe into a solid (or surfaces).  Let's say you have a tetrahedron, or maybe a wireframe with 5 or 6 sides.  Is there a quick way to make that a solid?  I searched this forum, but didn't see anything on it.

Thanks!

March 22, 2015, 08:34:37 AM

I have 19 Pro.  What I can't figure out is how to simply convert a 3D wireframe into a solid (or surfaces).  Let's say you have a tetrahedron, or maybe a wireframe with 5 or 6 sides.  Is there a quick way to make that a solid?  I searched this forum, but didn't see anything on it.

Thanks!

Not as quickly nor in the method you would hope.  I assume you want to simply "Select All" (lines on different Workplanes, with different Z-coordinate vertices)-> create a Solid 3D Object.

I asked about this from the advanced-TurboCADers a while back; got a "not doable" response; and suggested maybe addition of this capability.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 22, 2015, 08:55:58 AM

Thanks!

Depends upon how the wireframe was created. Can you post a .tcw that contains such an object?

Henry H

* March 22, 2015, 10:38:03 AM
If drawn with 2D polylines, you should be able to select them, then use Format / Create Surface / From Profile. Now you should be able to 3D Add the facets together. I think you could use 3D polylines at one time, but I can't convert them in V19 Pro.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* March 22, 2015, 03:09:17 PM
Extrude/simple sweep is simplest.   You get volume with that.

March 25, 2015, 07:52:23 PM
I was under the impression that you can import Terrain data, which is a series of coordinates in XYZ space.

So if I were to generate a Point Cloud with a 3D Scanner (a Point Cloud is series of points in 3D space that are not connected to their neighbors as Surfaces, Solids, Meshes, etc.), how would I go about making a Surface/Solid/Mesh in TurboCAD if the Terrain function doesn't work?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 25, 2015, 11:00:31 PM
If the terrain tool doesn't work, MeshLab (very good open-source mesh manipulation app) might.  As for turning recalcitrant surfaces and meshes into solids, there are a few workaround methods.  A mesh or surface can be exploded down to polylines, the polylines given thickness and then property-converted to solids en masse, and then, while they're still all selected, multi-added together.  Only thing to be on the watch for is that surfaces tend to have some facets with inverted normals, and when given thickness, they thicken in the opposite direction to the others, the remedy is to apply a negative thickness to those polylines.   A mesh converted to zero thickness solid can also be added as a face of an open a box that's composed of surface faces, rather than being a volumetric solid (so long as the mesh/surface overlaps the sides of the open box to enclose a volume), then use facet editor to pick the appropriate faces to format/modify a solid|from faces.     
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:02:23 PM by murray dickinson »