TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Make a 2D drawing from obj file (3D)
Read 2827 times
* March 23, 2015, 04:35:23 AM
Hi,

I am first time user in turbocad. I got a obj file that was made by a 3rd party designer, I need to give a customer the 2d drawings of the design.

I am used to solidworks, where make a drawing from the 3d model would be straight forward process, I was able to make a drawing using drafting pallete but i get solid blocks in the drawing (Instead of 2D sketch with only outline)

Also one of the obj files is a combination of 3 models. How can i delete parts of the model (unmerge and delete parts)

I need to make separate drawings of each similar to autocad / solidworks drawings with just the outline and not actual model rendered in the drawing.

it is very urgent, any help would be great.

regards

rony

* March 23, 2015, 09:42:49 AM
Hi and Welcome,  Can you please post the drawing or a sample drawing, also what version TC are you using and is it pro / deluxe

RE -  I was able to make a drawing using drafting pallete but i get solid blocks in the drawing (Instead of 2D sketch with only outline)

I assume you tried the other icons in the drafting palette which give different types of views, normally the fill (solid or hatched) can be removed by exploding the drafting palette view once its in the drawing, and then selecting the solid / hatch and deleting it.

Re - Also one of the obj files is a combination of 3 models. How can I delete parts of the model (unmerge and delete parts)

Need to see an example, but it would depend on what TC's import filter made of the objects, it may have combined them in which case the one way would be to  explode a drafting view and delete what is not required, if TC simply grouped them then you could explode once to get the objects, tough to say without an example.   

March 25, 2015, 07:46:14 PM
I am used to solidworks, where make a drawing from the 3d model would be straight forward process, I was able to make a drawing using drafting pallete but i get solid blocks in the drawing (Instead of 2D sketch with only outline)

Select a Viewport on the Paper space page so that it is highlighted and hit <Ctrl>-F to bring up Properties.  On the left side of the popup, make sure that Hidden Line is selected under Rendering.  If that doesn't help, then you will probably have to post the file.

Also one of the obj files is a combination of 3 models. How can i delete parts of the model (unmerge and delete parts)

TurboCAD ungroups (or breaks down) objects by Exploding them into simpler structures.  Depending on where it is used, it will ungroup Grouped objects (which is what you want), convert Text into lines and curves, disconnect objects from their Block definition, etc.  There is probably similar functionality in other CAD software, but not in data file formats such as OBJ that are sent off to manufacturing.

While possible, it is highly unlikely that the OBJ file is in three pieces, but you can find out by clicking on the object in Model space to see: 1) if you are presented with the option of selecting one of multiple objects (because the spot you clicked overlaps more than one), or 2) only part of the object is highlighted as a result.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1