TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Text On A Curve? 32-Bit Only?
Read 11494 times
* January 28, 2015, 01:42:28 PM
I'm needing to do text on a curve and have been struggling to figure out how to do it with the TextAlongACurve tool that I have read about.  The tool doesn't seem to be in my version of Platinum 21.  But, then I discovered this: "Not Currently Available in 64-bit editions".  What?  Do I need to re-install it in a 32-bit version?  Are there other things that are only in the 32-bit version?  Are there things that I lose from the 64-bit mode?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:14:57 PM by Gary Lewis »

* January 28, 2015, 05:29:04 PM
I'm needing to do text on a curve and have been struggling to figure out how to do it with the TextAlongACurve tool that I have read about.  The tool doesn't seem to be in my version of Platinum 21.  But, then I discovered this: "Not Currently Available in 64-bit editions".  What?  Do I need to re-install it in a 32-bit version?  Are there other things that are only in the 32-bit version?  Are there things that I lose from the 64-bit mode?

unless it's been dropped completely the attached is what I see in v20.2 Platinum.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 28, 2015, 06:08:03 PM
Where is the egg-on-face emoticon?  Will this one do?  :-[  I've attached a screen shot from this laptop showing that this version, which is 64-bit, does have that tool - although I hadn't checked it when I posted as I was in the shop.  But, I swear the one in the shop doesn't have that tool, although I'll check it for sure tomorrow.  And, I've attached a screen shot of the HELP entry for curved text for V21 and circled the "Not Currently Available in 64-bit editions".

Ok, I've proven that I'm confused.  But am I alone?

Anyway, thanks Don.  Had you not posted while I'm on the little laptop I probably wouldn't have checked as I was convinced this one wouldn't have it either.  After all, this is exactly the same version as the shop since they were both installed from the same download.  Or, they were initially the same version......  Hmmm, guess I'd better check.

* January 28, 2015, 06:36:42 PM
Where is the egg-on-face emoticon?  Will this one do?  :-[  I've attached a screen shot from this laptop showing that this version, which is 64-bit, does have that tool - although I hadn't checked it when I posted as I was in the shop.  But, I swear the one in the shop doesn't have that tool, although I'll check it for sure tomorrow.  And, I've attached a screen shot of the HELP entry for curved text for V21 and circled the "Not Currently Available in 64-bit editions".

Ok, I've proven that I'm confused.  But am I alone?

Anyway, thanks Don.  Had you not posted while I'm on the little laptop I probably wouldn't have checked as I was convinced this one wouldn't have it either.  After all, this is exactly the same version as the shop since they were both installed from the same download.  Or, they were initially the same version......  Hmmm, guess I'd better check.

No egg on the face, just good answers to good questions...the sad part is the tool never worked very well since it was introduced and has been put on the back burner. Good luck with your attempt with it.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* January 28, 2015, 07:13:49 PM
I see what you mean about the tool.  It takes quite a while to generate the text, and then changing parameters on the text is ..... fiddly.  Hidden.  Like an afterthought.  But, it worked for what I need to do, as shown in the attachment.

And, to bore you to death, here's what I'm up to: I'm "restoring" my father's 1981 F150 4wd truck.  But, I'm using the term "restoring" quite loosely as these trucks never came from the factory with aluminum heads, roller cams, 4bbl carbs, or even dual-snorkel air cleaners.  But, my build theme is "As Ford would have done it", so I'm making the air cleaner look like it came from Ford - right down to the graphics on the lid.  But, those air cleaners came on 5.8L engines, and this one is a 6.6L, so I'm going to cut new vinyl graphics for the air cleaner that look exactly like they came from Ford.

In fact, for grins I'm going to draw up the lid in 3D.  I've already done it in 2D, where I know what I'm doing so that was a piece of cake.  But, I'll draw up a profile and do a rail sweep (right?) to create a 3D of the lid.  Add the graphics and some lighting and have a good view of what it'll look like.  And, learn more about 3D drawing to boot.

* January 28, 2015, 08:00:53 PM
One of the many strange things about Text on Curve (the last time I used it, anyway) is that a circle does not work well at all for the "curve." Trace the circle with a Spline and use that as the curve.

Henry H

* January 28, 2015, 10:04:17 PM
You might want to try the Bend tool on 3D Text that is complete solid object.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 29, 2015, 04:05:45 AM
Henry - I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

John - That's cool!  And, if I draw the lid in 3D it would only make sense to do the graphics in 3D.  After all, it will have some height, albeit .020" or so, and I'm sure that would qualify.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks.

* January 29, 2015, 09:36:33 AM
Well, it looks like my rememberer isn't as bad as I thought.  As shown in the attached, the version of TurboCAD on the shop computer doesn't have the Text-On-A-Curve tool.  How can that be since the TurboCAD installations on both computers came from the same file on a thumb drive?  And, both were installed as 64-bit applications.   ???

So, what did I do differently on the installation to get different tools?  How do I fix it?

* January 29, 2015, 10:38:46 AM
Hi Gary,
go to help > about turbocad
does it say platinum edition?

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* January 29, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Well, it looks like my rememberer isn't as bad as I thought.  As shown in the attached, the version of TurboCAD on the shop computer doesn't have the Text-On-A-Curve tool.  How can that be since the TurboCAD installations on both computers came from the same file on a thumb drive?  And, both were installed as 64-bit applications.   ???

So, what did I do differently on the installation to get different tools?  How do I fix it?

Try opening  'Toolbars and Menus' go to Commands scroll down to Addons click on 'Insert' and if Text along a curve shows up in the right window.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

January 29, 2015, 10:51:47 AM

[Edit:  I now see that DonCW posted at the same time I posted]

Here's what I would try Gary:

>Go to the computer that has the Text-on-A-Curve Tool available.
>In TurboCAD, go to Tools/Customize/Options.
>Take note of what configuration file is listed under the "Load From" button
>In the other computer, make sure this is the configuration file that is showing in that drop-down field-box, and click "Load From"

_____
The second thing I would try:

>In the shop computer, where that Tool/Command isn't showing available, go to Tools/Customize/Commands
>On the left side, click on "All Commands" (or the category "Add-Ons", if that's available)
>In the list on the right side, see if that Text-on-A-Curve is available*
>If it is, drag it out and into the Add-Ons Menu
>In Tools/Customize/Options, click "Save In" (maybe first type in a unique name in that configuration file field-box under "Save In" before clicking "Save In")

_____
*If that Command is not available in the list of available Commands in your shop computer Customize/Commands, let the Forum know.  But please first make sure you review the whole list on the right side, when "All Commands" is highlighted (it may have a name you don't expect; it may not be exactly "Text-on-A-Curve")
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:05:42 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 29, 2015, 01:55:51 PM
Dean - Pro Platinum on both installations.

Don & Alvin - No Text-On-A-Curve anywhere in Tools/Customize/Commands, as shown in the attached screen shot.

Alvin - The file in Tools/Customize/Options was different on the shop computer, but it is now the same: tc_1024x768pro_pre.  And I've restarted TurboCAD with no joy.   ???

All - When I load the file I created on the laptop with text on a curve onto the shop computer I get the warning shown below.  Basically the curved text isn't supported. 

Did I miss something in what you guys suggested?

January 29, 2015, 02:44:54 PM

Don & Alvin - No Text-On-A-Curve anywhere in Tools/Customize/Commands, as shown in the attached screen shot.

Alvin - The file in Tools/Customize/Options was different on the shop computer, but it is now the same: tc_1024x768pro_pre.  And I've restarted TurboCAD with no joy.   ???

All - When I load the file I created on the laptop with text on a curve onto the shop computer I get the warning shown below.  Basically the curved text isn't supported. 

Maybe, in the shop computer, look in the Draggers folder and see if that dragger (.dll) is missing.  That might have happened if you installed with your Antivirus on.  Or maybe you didn't select the "Full" option when installing(?)

Look in:  C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCWP21\Program\Draggers.  I think it's named "ToolTextAlong.dll".  I hope someone with 21PP can verify that. (I still have a lot of left-over version-21-PP on my system, from a trial-"license" installation)
   [The Tool "Thread3D" isn't showing in your list of Commands either.  Maybe, while you are in your Draggers folder, look for that .dll-- "Thread3D.dll"-- as well.]

Maybe just run a "Repair", with your Antivirus turned off temporarily.

~Alvin

(Did you look in Customize/Commands, under the "All Commands" list?  You showed us your "AddOns/SpecialTools/Insert" Category.  Although, since you are getting that warning dialog for only this file, I tend towards believing that you in fact do not have "TextAlongCurve" installed.  But, that's just a gut-feeling.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:56:30 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

January 29, 2015, 02:51:23 PM
By the way Gary, what is your TurboCAD-21-ProPlatinum build# on each of these computers?  In Help/About TurboCAD...

If not current, maybe either run an Update, or go to the Updates and Patches Forum board and download and install the latest/greatest build (with Antivirus temporarily off).
>>But first check with someone else to verify what is the latest/greatest build of version-21-ProPlatinum.  I think I read recently that they haven't posted the latest/greatest build on the Updates and Patches Forum board.  But if that's the case, I seem to recall that John R. recently had posted a link to where you can download it.

[Edit:  Here's a link to that post that I referred to above-- in which John R. posted a link to the latest(?) 21-ProPlatinum builds.  It says it's for builds 21.2|59.0; but I see posts from others which refer to a build 59.1...  Maybe just run an Update if and after a re-install.]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:24:51 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 29, 2015, 07:15:59 PM

One more place to look.....go back to Commands, scroll down the right screen to see if 'Text along on a curve ' is there. See attached.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* January 30, 2015, 11:05:09 AM
Ok, another update - no joy in Mudville.  First, both installations are identical with regard to version (21.2), Build (59.0), and even Serial Number - as shown by the first two attachments.

Second, both the Thread and ToolTextAlong dll's are in the Program Files/IMSIDesign/TCWP21/Program/Draggers folder, as shown by the third pic.

Next, there is no TextAlongCurve tool shown in the Tools/Customize/Commands folder, even on the right side - as shown in the 4th pic.

Last, I've not tried upgrading to Build 59.1 as I haven't found it although I haven't looked extensively.  But, I did follow the links and didn't see 59.1 anywhere.  Did I miss it?  And, if I tell TurboCAD to update it says I'm on the latest version.

So, what do I do now?

January 30, 2015, 11:20:40 AM
Ok, another update - no joy in Mudville.
So, what do I do now?

Heck.  I don't know.  We've exhausted all that I can think to contribute.

I lean towards a full uninstall and reinstall, using the files John R posted that I linked you to, and being sure AntiVirus is Off during the install.

I wouldn't sweat the 59.1 Update too much; just run an Update after the reinstall, and let it guide you from there.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

January 30, 2015, 11:31:48 AM
You probably know this, but, when installing from a download , such as those provided by John R, we still use our Serial Number and Activation Code from our initial purchase.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 30, 2015, 11:46:45 AM
I assumed that was the case.  But, since I'm buying V20 and may, or may not, upgrade that to V21 Platinum, I'm thinking I may wait to do this until then.  However, as I think about it, will I even have to install V20 if I'm upgrading?  It seems to me that IMSI is pretty open with copies of their applications, but just tight with the Serial Number and Activation Code.  So, will they just email me a V21 SN and AC and I'll not even bother to install V20?  Does something in the V20 box give me the SN and AC w/o installing so I can prove to IMSI that I bought it?

Sooooo many questions!  But, I could get by for a few days with using the laptop, although I'll have to load some additional fonts on it to get the graphics I want.  However, there is still the question of 32 vs 64-bit software.  I'm assuming that if I order a DVD of TurboCAD I get both versions.  But, can I easily download both versions if I opt to download the software and not get a DVD?  And, do I need/want the 32-bit version?

January 30, 2015, 11:51:44 AM
Reply #20

Others are better suited to answer your questions Gary.
Good luck.  I think you'll get there soon.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 30, 2015, 11:59:37 AM
Thanks, Alvin.  I may get there soon, but I will say it is getting very frustrating.  You guys have been quite helpful and without you I would have gone with something else besides TurboCAD.  But it is hard to fathom how one application can be loaded onto two different computers from the same file and have different tools.

Anyway, please don't take that as a lack of appreciation on my part for what you and the others have done for me.  I am certainly appreciative and thank you greatly.

* January 30, 2015, 12:05:17 PM
I assumed that was the case.  But, since I'm buying V20 and may, or may not, upgrade that to V21 Platinum, I'm thinking I may wait to do this until then.  However, as I think about it, will I even have to install V20 if I'm upgrading?  It seems to me that IMSI is pretty open with copies of their applications, but just tight with the Serial Number and Activation Code.  So, will they just email me a V21 SN and AC and I'll not even bother to install V20?  Does something in the V20 box give me the SN and AC w/o installing so I can prove to IMSI that I bought it?

Sooooo many questions!  But, I could get by for a few days with using the laptop, although I'll have to load some additional fonts on it to get the graphics I want.  However, there is still the question of 32 vs 64-bit software.  I'm assuming that if I order a DVD of TurboCAD I get both versions.  But, can I easily download both versions if I opt to download the software and not get a DVD?  And, do I need/want the 32-bit version?

1. I don't for a fact that this will work but, do a cut and paste of the 'Text along a curve' .dll from one computer to the other.  If that doesn't do it, try #2.
2. Run the Installer and follow the prompts until come to the screen giving you the options 'Modify' Repair or Unistall.  Choose Repair and see if that works.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:01:04 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

January 31, 2015, 10:00:23 AM
Hi Gary.  Just ran across this on another thread.  Thought I'd post it here for you to see.

By a "Full UnInstall" that I've been referring to, I meant, in addition to running the "UnInstall" option from the Install-CD/DVD, Windows Control Panel, or other access:

1) Using the programs and features control panel [or via described in sentence above] remove all versions of TurboCAD, TurboCAD Plug-ins and symbols installs.  [edits added by Alvin]
2) Delete all of these folders.
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign
    C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign
3) Download new installer (from link given), and activate using original serial number.
[copied from a post, here]

_______
I also wanted to add, as DonCW suggested, I think there's a good chance that just running a "Repair" from the Install-CD/DVD, Windows Control Panel, or other access (downloaded folder) very well might take care of that shop computer missing some Tools/Commands.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:01:31 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 31, 2015, 11:17:42 AM
Yippee!  Copying the dll didn't make a difference, but a Repair did.  The first clue was when I opened the air cleaner file created on the laptop and didn't get a warning about features this version doesn't support.  And, the next was when the file opened with curved text.  And then I found the text-along-a-curve tool is there.   :)

Thanks, guys!  Now, on to working on the file..............

* January 31, 2015, 11:23:31 AM
Yippee!  Copying the dll didn't make a difference, but a Repair did.  The first clue was when I opened the air cleaner file created on the laptop and didn't get a warning about features this version doesn't support.  And, the next was when the file opened with curved text.  And then I found the text-along-a-curve tool is there.   :)

Thanks, guys!  Now, on to working on the file..............

I'm happy it workd for you Gary, Please post your completed working file.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* January 31, 2015, 11:29:18 AM
Don - I'm not sure when I'll be done with the file.  But I'm running into weird things now that may be due to using a circle so will switch to a spline.  I can't get it to put the text where I think it ought to go and if I do anything with it the text comes up in a different position.

However, another major road block has reared its ugly head - the fonts available.  It appears that TextAlongACurve has far fewer fonts available than the text tool in TurboCAD.  And, for this to be acceptable I need fonts that aren't there.  Is there something I can do to add fonts to TAAC?  Or, do I have to go to 3D font and bend it?

* January 31, 2015, 12:11:24 PM
Hi Gary,
text on curve > this should give you good results everytime.

Draw a square
Draw a 4 segment 3 degree spline by fit points “m” snapping to 3 of the square’s sides midpoints then “close” the spline. You’ll have a close enough circle for the text on curve.
Select “text on curve” and “n” snap on the spline approximating the top quadrant.
If you want the object larger or smaller just select the spline and scale it with “keep aspect ratio” enabled.
DOn't use circles always use splines.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* January 31, 2015, 12:17:40 PM
The "Text Along Curve" article in the Wiki may help understanding circles.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 31, 2015, 12:48:31 PM
I got the spline drawn and used the wiki, albeit v21 version, to finally figure out that WHERE you select the curve determines the middle of the text.  After that, I got the text to fit quite nicely.  And it no longer does bizarre things, which must have been due to using a circle instead of a spline.  And, I notice that the v21 wiki has eliminated the bit about applying the text to a circle.

So, that puts me back to fonts.  Is there a way to get other fonts into this tool?

Also, and off the topic of the thread, but I'm having fits inserting a picture into my file.  Or, maybe I should say "getting the picture to be visible".  It goes in, but it just leaves an outline - the rectangle I draw to position it.  I've read and re-read the wiki, but no amount of bring-to-front or anything else works.  And, when I finish inserting the picture the application goes into the line tool.  In other words, instead of still being in insert mode or dropping back to Select, it is in the line tool saying "Define the start point of the line".  Is that right?  Just the way it works?  And, where's my picture?  Or, how can I see it?  I'm trying to compare the font I've selected with the original lettering.

* January 31, 2015, 02:00:17 PM
Gary,
> Select text on curve
> Ctrl+F   (brings up properties page)
> Select Other > select text properties > go to page > choose font

* January 31, 2015, 02:03:45 PM
Dean - That's what I'm doing.  Half of those fonts don't work, meaning that when you select them the resulting text looks identical to the previous font, in spite of many of them being familiar fonts and I know they should produce quite different results.  And, the number of fonts there is very much limited to the ones you have in normal Text mode.  Just go take a look.

I've now hoping that 3D text and bending it will get me there.

* January 31, 2015, 02:15:27 PM
Yes, I’m aware of the font options. There are quite a few to choose from and they do change when selected, it might take a second to change. You can always explode the text on curve to break the connection then change the font that way too.The 3d bend text trick is good too,  :)John R is the master at that.

* January 31, 2015, 02:23:09 PM
Well, as said about half of my fonts in text-along-a-curve don't change, even after I wait the several seconds to let the spinning stop.  But, I haven't exploded the text to try that.  What does "break the connection" mean, and connection to what?

I just got bending text to sorta work.  But, I had to subtract the text from a 3D box to get it to work.  Must be something I'm doing.  And then, when I'd saved the file and clicked Close TurboCAD crashed and generated an error report.   :(  I guess I can break anything.

* January 31, 2015, 02:37:00 PM
Sounds like you in a mess over there. :)
If you explode the text on curve you lose the available commands written in the script, Another words it's not text on curve anymore just plain text.

* January 31, 2015, 03:33:26 PM
So, "breaking the link" means breaking the link to the text-on-a-curve script/tool.  And, if I explode it does the text stay where it was?  That would mean I could use the other fonts.  Hmmmm.....

But, in reality I'm killing a gnat with a sledgehammer.  I would think I could use something like Word or Powerpoint to do the same thing, but easier.

January 31, 2015, 03:41:52 PM
So, "breaking the link" means breaking the link to the text-on-a-curve script/tool.  And, if I explode it does the text stay where it was?  That would mean I could use the other fonts.  Hmmmm.....

But, in reality I'm killing a gnat with a sledgehammer.  I would think I could use something like Word or Powerpoint to do the same thing, but easier.

Since you're modeling in 3D, I think the Bend Tool is the way to go.  Unless your Text-on-a-Curve is just for notes or something.

I tried using Bend with Text when I was trialing V21-PP, and I thought it worked pretty darned well.

And, like you said Gary, (if it's part of the 3D model), in reality, it does have a minute thickness-- be it a decal, or painted on, or scribed on....

Alvin Gregorio

* January 31, 2015, 04:01:13 PM

Yes, the text stays > each letter can then be changed > font> thickness etc.

Concerning the bend 3d text, I remember John posted a beautiful example with instructions. You’ll need to search for that post. It wasn’t that long ago.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:12:54 PM by Dean »

* January 31, 2015, 06:50:21 PM
I'll have to learn how to do 3D text at some point, and will look up John's how-to.  But, for the moment I think changing the font on the text after disconnecting it from the text-on-a-curve tool is the way to go.  And, that let's me use the selection properties on the right, which makes changing the font very quick.  Plus it gives me access to all of the fonts on the computer - several times more than the text-on-a-curve tool provides.  And the change is instant instead of taking 4 or 5 seconds.