TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

I've finally upgraded to 16 Pro... interesting learning curve after v11
Read 1468 times
December 19, 2009, 03:51:00 PM
I've been working on a wintery render project that I'll hopefully post in the gallery in the next few days.  This is my first project done exclusively in v16.2, and I've already run into some notable changes after working in v11 for so long (I'm sure most of you 16 users are quite familiar with them):

-Automatic presets:  I have to uncheck something in the Options/Background color menu for white hatches to show up (I've had to use white hatches a lot when designing decals or image wraps).

-I have to pay more attention to the part tree/Selection info.  In v11 I could do pretty much anything I want boolean-wise without having to explode anything (Selection info always said "ACIS solid" after any boolean).  I've noticed today that if I try to subtract a simple extrude with edges rounded with the fillet edges tool, the subtrahend reverts back to sharp edges.  You can really see the effect when using the copy-in-place add-on tool, as both the rounded and sharp objects become visible.  Apparently the solution is to explode the object once to clear the part tree (Selection info then merely says "ACIS Solid").

-The effect of different materials on objects preceding a boolean operation:  I had to do the facet edit trick to set materials to "none" after a 3d subtract.

So, other than a couple of glitches (probably related to my computer and not necessarily TC), the oddities I've run into are easy enough to deal with... just part of dealing with a more complicated program.  There are some pretty cool things that can be done in 16 that I couldn't do before, though my current project is pretty straightforward and doesn't use anything really out of the ordinary.   ;)

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

December 19, 2009, 03:55:38 PM
Just an additional note about the materials on different facets issue:

For Pro it's not really a problem, it's just a possible extra step.  For Deluxe however, I can see it being an issue.  I did some work with the trial version of Deluxe a week ago just to see the capabilities, and I noticed that the materials on different facets can also show up after boolean operations in 16 Deluxe.  Without a Facet editor tool it would be difficult to work around if someone forgot to set their materials just right.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016