TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Database Reports or Extract Attribute
Read 1766 times
* January 06, 2015, 06:02:52 PM
I was looking at the database report and the extract attribute functions to see which might be more practicable for me to use in regard to the custom fields and block attributes or a combination of both.  While the database reports give alot more options I found that it wouldn't display an Ω symbol (I didn't try any other symbol) nor would the custom properties allow it to be inputted, it gets converted to a "O".  Whereas the block attributes and extract attribute report will allow the Ω symbol. 

Point being, I need to make a lot of symbols and want to include extractable information to make certain calculations easier, so I am looking for other ideas of where custom feilds/block attribute are best suited.  Other than you can display block attributes on the drawing and the custom field has data input constraints (text and numbers or numbers only) I don't see much difference between the two.  So I am looking for input from people who have more experiance with them, the good and the bad (trying to minimize the amount of fumbling through and having to correct/change the same thing on many symbol files individually).

While I will primarily be making RC model airplane planes, there will be mechanical drawings and possibly electronic schematics and associated component drawings.

Thank you,

Matthew

Almost forgot, custom fields in symbols are useless unless you have all the database fields set up in your template.

Just a hobby user.
TurboCAD Vr. 18.2 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2015 Platinum
TurboCAD Vr. 2016 Platinum
PC - Intel i7, 3.2 GHz, 32GB RAM, Window 10 64bit
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1GB RAM

* January 06, 2015, 07:32:41 PM
I find the database with a combination of custom properties and block attributes a lot easier to use then attribute extract.
Especially when its a large drawing. I don't use symbols though. I did test a few and the only one that looked like it gave issues was the ohm sign.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* January 11, 2015, 10:12:20 AM
Thanks for the response Nikki,

I've not found a way for the database reports to give a count of like objects, instead it lists everything individually.  Whereas extract attributes will give you quantities of each object with only one listing of that object (all matching attributes).   

So, I have decided to use the block attributes for anything that will need to be on a bill of materials and the custom fields for any other information needed outside the actual drawing.

Does anyone know how the two tabs marked on the Library Pallette in the attached png get populated? or thier purpose?  As they have always remained empty when I looked at them.

Thank you,

Matthew

Just a hobby user.

* January 11, 2015, 11:55:23 AM
Hi RC,
Report type= summary
Common field = object type
this will report quantity and object type.
Open the library palette and select/highlight a parametric part = Cabinet_T. All adjustable parameters are
visible under "properties"

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* January 11, 2015, 03:24:45 PM
Ok, thank you Dean.

Matthew

Just a hobby user.

* January 11, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
I'm about to add custom fields and create some blocks with attributes into some exisiting drawings.

Is there a significant increase in time for loading or manipulation of the drawing once these are added?  Currently my drawings are small so I probably won't notice it but some projects I've done some preliminary work on could create large files.

Thank you,

Matthew

Just a hobby user.