TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Wall tool offset dimensions
Read 3484 times
* September 13, 2014, 08:54:31 AM
I need to turn on the 3d Wall Tool offset dimensions, if that is possible, seems like it used to show that when you inserted a wall in the world plane view.

I don't see it now TC-21 pro-plat.

iv

* September 13, 2014, 10:15:59 AM
I need to turn on the 3d Wall Tool offset dimensions, if that is possible, seems like it used to show that when you inserted a wall in the world plane view.

I don't see it now TC-21 pro-plat.

iv

Hi Ivey,

Until someone else comes along... Are you using the Wall Dimension Tool, within the Architectural Tools->Wall Tools?  Are you selecting (in Properties/General/AEC Dimension Styles) the correct AEC Dimension Style that you have the Chains set up correctly as you wish, in the Styles Manager Palette-> AEC Dimensions Style?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:21:21 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 13, 2014, 10:25:25 AM
... or are you simply using the "normal" Dimension Tool, and looking for "Baseline Increment" (set to maybe 10" or 12") in Properties/Advanced Format?

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 16, 2014, 05:35:35 AM
Hey Al,

I'm not trying to dimension walls, I am inserting walls on the world plane in a 3d building design, but wish it would show the offset dims from the walls that are already there, as it does when you insert doors and windows in a 3d wall that was created with the 3d wall tool. If that makes any sense.

I might have been doing this in "TC floor plan" , doesn't seem to work in tc.

* September 16, 2014, 06:43:24 AM
I'll take a guess :) and say that if you are in a perspective view you need to assign a .shx font as the text style in the style manager. The AEC dimension by default uses the standard text style. You might need to re-insert the Dimension with the new font or refresh the screen after making the changes.Also, If you are in a rendered view, you'll need "non renderable objects" checked in the camera properties.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* September 16, 2014, 07:13:59 AM
Hey Al,

I'm not trying to dimension walls, I am inserting walls on the world plane in a 3d building design, but wish it would show the offset dims from the walls that are already there, as it does when you insert doors and windows in a 3d wall that was created with the 3d wall tool. If that makes any sense.

I might have been doing this in "TC floor plan" , doesn't seem to work in tc.

Yeah, After Posting my first two posts, then re-reading your original Post/question Ivey, I started to question whether Dimensioning was what you were asking about.
_____
I've never seen that "offset dimensioning" feature you mention in TurboCAD-- "offset dimensioning while Inserting"... such as the Doors and Windows Tools do.

At least it is now clarified what you are asking.  Maybe one of the more-knowledgable guys/gals can now satisfactorily answer your question.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 16, 2014, 07:39:10 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Alvin!
Half the problem is trying to communicate the issue... :)

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* September 16, 2014, 12:08:58 PM
No, right, it is about building a building in 3d without having to do it on a 2d floor plan, kind of hard to explain.

When I insert windows or doors in a simple wall, the offset dimensions change as you locate the door or window in the wall, like you set the window 36" from the inside corner, if that doesn't work , you can slide it back and forth, and see the dimensions distance moving. I would like to be able to do that walls , Maybe it was "FlooPlan" that did that.

* September 16, 2014, 12:48:09 PM
No, right, it is about building a building in 3d without having to do it on a 2d floor plan, kind of hard to explain.

When I insert windows or doors in a simple wall, the offset dimensions change as you locate the door or window in the wall, like you set the window 36" from the inside corner, if that doesn't work , you can slide it back and forth, and see the dimensions distance moving. I would like to be able to do that walls , Maybe it was "FlooPlan" that did that.

In my TC v21 Platinum installation, the Length and Angle are displayed in the Inspector Bar as I insert the wall.

Henry H

* September 17, 2014, 03:54:07 AM
Yes, I see that, but was hoping there was a way to show the offset from the nearest walls, as I am inserting walls,  but, I just don't think it was TC that did it, maybe it was floor plan, I don't have it anymore.

Oh well

* September 17, 2014, 05:13:33 AM
Ok, qfci , I see what you’re asking to do > There are no floating fields displaying the distance “from”..

Working in “default” workspace in plan view or iso view
> hit “R” this activates relative coord system, you should see a little red dot (origin)
> Wall #1 (draw a 12’ wall in the "x" axis (12' 0 degrees) > finish
> hit “L” (this is relocate orign) and place it at the end of wall #1
If the wall tool is not active, activate it > then
> hit Shift +tab ( this brings the command to the “x” field in the status bar > type in -4’ then tab to the “y” field and type in 0 > hit enter
>This will start the wall 4’ in from the end of Wall #1.
After dawning wall #1 the origin should have been at the end of the wall after hitting “finish” so
You could of skipped hitting “L” and shift tab to the status bar to draw the next wall.
Status bar is under View> display > UI
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:32:29 AM by Dean »