TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

making multiple bends using the bend tool on a imprinted 3d box.
Read 3377 times
* September 11, 2014, 08:04:44 PM
I am trying to make a clamp bracket and imprinted the cutout on 3d box.  I laid out my bend lines and got 2 bends to work.  Now I can't get the bend on the angled part of the bracket to bend back to 90 degree so the bracket lines up with the 1st 90 bend. 

I looked up the article which said to use the workplane by facet and then use format>place on workplane.  However, when I select the line the format menu does not have the move to workplane option. 

Anyone else think the documentation/example on using the bend tool is lacking.  The documentation is just doing one simple bend.  How about some real world examples.

I am using tc 21 plat.

I also made a lofted object (a dust collector reducer (10" to 6").  I tried to use the unbend option on it to get a print out to cut the metal to make it.  As far as I can tell unbend will not work on a lofted object.

* September 11, 2014, 10:21:07 PM
Select the "Part" and expand the listing in the Selection Info palette (upper window).
I think you want the top Bend (last one done).
Expand the "Part" property.
Change the "Bend Angle" from "-140" to "-90".
Wait a moment or two for it to complete.

The unbend problem…others are better with that than I am.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* September 12, 2014, 12:07:09 AM
unbend will not work on a lofted object.

Unbend is an arc length calculation, so it'll only work on coaxially-edged cylindrical sections blending into planar faces.     

* September 12, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
I am trying to make a clamp bracket and imprinted the cutout on 3d box.  I laid out my bend lines and got 2 bends to work.  Now I can't get the bend on the angled part of the bracket to bend back to 90 degree so the bracket lines up with the 1st 90 bend. 

I looked up the article which said to use the workplane by facet and then use format>place on workplane.  However, when I select the line the format menu does not have the move to workplane option. 

Anyone else think the documentation/example on using the bend tool is lacking.  The documentation is just doing one simple bend.  How about some real world examples.

I am using tc 21 plat.

I also made a lofted object (a dust collector reducer (10" to 6").  I tried to use the unbend option on it to get a print out to cut the metal to make it.  As far as I can tell unbend will not work on a lofted object.

I've used the Unbend tool sccessfully on quite a few different sheet metal objects, including some that were created by lofting -- but it can be tricky at times. Would you care to post the drawing of the dust collector?

Henry H

* September 15, 2014, 07:36:29 PM
Here is the file (tc 21 plat) which contains the ductwork I can not get to unfold.  The file is called "Big Burtha Flang1.tcw".

I got the clamp bracket to come out by creating a 3d box using other tools. I could not get tc to do the last bend after I made the -140 degree bend at the second bend line (see the Side View clamp.jpg  and clamp 3d.jpg file).

The "bend sheet" worked until I tried to get the last line to make the bend back to 90 degrees on the after the -140 degree bend.  I need it to bend back to 90 degree to make the bracket lie flat on the wall. The last bend line is sitting on top workplane above. see clamp bracket 7.tcw file. 

I would still like to know how to make tc make that final bend back to 90 degree using the bend sheet.

* September 15, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
here is the other files.  Kept on getting sever error when I tried to upload them all at once.

* September 15, 2014, 07:55:12 PM
Okay, let's see if I can the tc file to upload..  Had to delete a bunch of block to get the size down.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* September 15, 2014, 08:16:23 PM
Here is the file (tc 21 plat) which contains the ductwork I can not get to unfold.  The file is called "Big Burtha Flang1.tcw".

I got the clamp bracket to come out by creating a 3d box using other tools. I could not get tc to do the last bend after I made the -140 degree bend at the second bend line (see the Side View clamp.jpg  and clamp 3d.jpg file).

The "bend sheet" worked until I tried to get the last line to make the bend back to 90 degrees on the after the -140 degree bend.  I need it to bend back to 90 degree to make the bracket lie flat on the wall. The last bend line is sitting on top workplane above. see clamp bracket 7.tcw file. 

I would still like to know how to make tc make that final bend back to 90 degree using the bend sheet.

The Big burtha cannot be unbent or unfolded, because it's a compound-curved surface. Therefore it cannot be fabricated from sheet material without stretching and/or compressing the material; that is, simply by rolling or bending. If you redesign it as two cylinders joined by a conical transition, it can be fabricated by rolling three separate flat pieces and welding or otherwise assembling them.

Henry H
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:11:09 AM by Henry Hubich »

* September 15, 2014, 10:32:27 PM
re: the clamp bracket bends…

Save the -140 bend for last. Do your 90° bend, then bend the other end 50°. You'll need to turn off the "Left Side" option so that it bends that end of the extrusion up. Now you can do the minus 140° bend. I think you would be better off making a single hanger, turn it into a Block, then Linear Copy to create the bracket. Explode the first & last Block and then use the Quick Pull tool to lengthen the edges on the ends.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* September 17, 2014, 10:36:18 AM

I looked up the article which said to use the workplane by facet and then use format>place on workplane.  However, when I select the line the format menu does not have the move to workplane option

I am using tc 21 plat.

In my v21 installation, "Place on Workplane" is in the Modify menu.

With the bend line on the correct face of the object, "Bend Sheet works properly" -- but it works slowly, because the part is complex. Since you have "Create editing history" enabled, you can tweak the location of the bend line after bending to make the new flange align properly with the upper one (if necessary).

Henry H