TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Modelling A Spider
Read 4112 times
September 12, 2014, 05:38:53 AM
has anyone done this?  In learning photography, I have become infatuated with Jumping Spiders. I would like to attempt to model one. Just curious if anyone has modeled a spider using TC, or if anyone may have some pointers in this regard.

Here is a sample
Morticia-2 by Kenneth_W_Martin, on Flickr

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* September 12, 2014, 10:19:18 AM
I've modeled several kinds of bugs, but never a spider. And I never have thought of a practical way to model something hairy.

Henry H

* September 13, 2014, 07:39:38 AM
In cinema, it's the renderers that do the hair and even the physics for how the hair moves in animation.  Pixar's Renderman, for one.  I nearly fell over when I looked at the price of Renderman recently - because they've reduced it to about $500.  Which is really, really cheap for that app.  It won't be super fast, because the cinema guys use render farms, lotsa CPUs at work together (each with a $500 seat...), but yeah, plausible hair.   

* September 13, 2014, 04:16:21 PM
has anyone done this?  In learning photography, I have become infatuated with Jumping Spiders. I would like to attempt to model one. Just curious if anyone has modeled a spider using TC, or if anyone may have some pointers in this regard.

I really, really do not like spiders, but I've gotta admit that little jumping spiders are kinda cute. They act almost like they're intelligent.

Henry H
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:16:08 PM by Henry Hubich »

September 13, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
Maya can do hair, but the price is hairy.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* September 14, 2014, 03:25:51 AM
There might be something on Grab Cad you gauge by.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 14, 2014, 08:06:46 PM
"Hairy" might be out of reach. How about "Fuzzy"?

Henry H

September 15, 2014, 05:39:49 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. & yes Henry, they are very intelligent. They will interact with you. I Have found 7 different species on my property, I have kept the one in the photograph. I have watched them hunt. They are amazing creatures. yes also to the price of Maya being hairy. lol. nice bit of modeling on the leg henry.

TurboCAD user since v3

* September 15, 2014, 06:08:30 AM
Hi Ken,
I would create your spider in Turbocad . Creating “parts" Then save the drawing as a obj file. The obj file creates individual meshes which is what you want. Stl creates a single mesh.
Open the file in Blender and have fun. You could then export the file from blender and re-open in Turbocad adding the'fuzz' as Henry suggested.
I attached some attempts using Tcad (cartoon sketch) and some blender illustrations.
The turbo hair pic was created in Tcad using the pattern tool and my imagination :)
Turbo hair 2 >  hair done in blender then opened in Tcad
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:13:20 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* September 15, 2014, 10:08:30 AM
Anyone have experience with using Renderman and TurboCAD?

I had Renderman years ago bundeled with FastCAD 3D for DOS.  At that time it was an integrated system, but I have not worked with it since.  Mostly because of the price.

Now that the price is greatly reduced, or in some cases free, it might be worth kicking the tires again.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* September 15, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
I was somewhat successful with this Wooly Bear attempt modeled in TurboCad. Modeling the amount of hairs on your spider wouldn't be practical. As the others have mentioned there are rendering apps that create random instances of hair/fur/fuzz that are paintable over surfaces without the added polygon file bloat. Some are even free.

* September 15, 2014, 08:18:14 PM
I was somewhat successful with this Wooly Bear attempt modeled in TurboCad. Modeling the amount of hairs on your spider wouldn't be practical. As the others have mentioned there are rendering apps that create random instances of hair/fur/fuzz that are paintable over surfaces without the added polygon file bloat. Some are even free.

That's sensational, Richard.

Henry H

September 16, 2014, 04:31:51 AM
Nice one Richard. Thanks to all of the replies. I thinks I will start with capturing photos from all angles of the same species & attempt to model the parts in TC. I will probably go to blender after that. Although I tinkered with blender a while ago, I never did grasp the interface. Thanks for all of the replies.

TurboCAD user since v3