TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Saving as PDF
Read 5043 times
* September 04, 2014, 07:10:37 AM
Does anyone know tricks on how to save paper spaces as PDF without the outlines of your view port showing?
I know that if I select the view, then go to properties I can un-check the "Visible Box" and the box doesn't show up in my paper space.
But if I save as a PDF, the box, or sometimes only part of the box is visible. In the two attached PDF, jack1 has the View set to draft quality,
"Visible Box" un-checked, pen set to invisible and to white. Jack2 is the same but with View set to hidden line. But also notice that there is
another view with 2D parts layout. That view is set to wireframe and doesn't show the lines around the viewport. It really causes a problem if viewports
overlap as it will hide parts of other views that are beneath it, as in the gate PDF.
In summary, the viewport box shows up only with viewport quality set to something other than wireframe.
Now, I can print the drawing to PDF and the box doesn't show up. This is okay for a single page, but I would like to save all paper spaces in a single
PDF.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* September 04, 2014, 11:04:02 PM
I, and various other TC users, gave up on "save as PDF" in favour of using one of the many free virtual printer PDF writers. The one I use is http://www.primopdf.com/. One of its features is that you can append a new PDF to an existing one, thus creating multi-page PDFs.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 05, 2014, 03:10:13 AM
does a pdf created using Primo pdf save the layers?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* September 05, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
Does anyone know tricks on how to save paper spaces as PDF without the outlines of your view port showing?
I know that if I select the view, then go to properties I can un-check the "Visible Box" and the box doesn't show up in my paper space.
But if I save as a PDF, the box, or sometimes only part of the box is visible. In the two attached PDF, jack1 has the View set to draft quality,
"Visible Box" un-checked, pen set to invisible and to white. Jack2 is the same but with View set to hidden line. But also notice that there is
another view with 2D parts layout. That view is set to wireframe and doesn't show the lines around the viewport. It really causes a problem if viewports
overlap as it will hide parts of other views that are beneath it, as in the gate PDF.
In summary, the viewport box shows up only with viewport quality set to something other than wireframe.
Now, I can print the drawing to PDF and the box doesn't show up. This is okay for a single page, but I would like to save all paper spaces in a single
PDF.

Hi Jason,
This should work for you >
Check the "visible box" and make all viewports visible then set the viewport pen properties as seen in the attached picture. Do this for all the viewports in your paperspaces. assuming your paperspace background is white.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:04:57 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* September 06, 2014, 02:08:48 PM
Dean, I did as you said and that seems to work in most cases. The only time I still see the box in the PDF is if you have nonrenderable objects displayed in your viewports, such as measurements and notes captured from your model space. But that I can work around by doing dimensions in paper space.
I may get around to using other PDF virtual printers such as lemel_man suggested, but for now Dean's method seems to do the work.

Edit: The only problem I have with saving to PDF is the file size. In the case of my current drawing, the TCW file is about 3MB, as the PDF file will be around 5MB. I tried changing render resolution in page set up, using "Screen Resolution" makes a smaller file than 150 DPI. Anything higher than that, the file is just too large. There are only 9 pages in my current drawing. I think I may just stick to printing off each page, then scan all into a single PDF, which comes out to about 580KB.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:45:47 PM by Jason B »

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* September 06, 2014, 06:24:22 PM
Dean, I did as you said and that seems to work in most cases. The only time I still see the box in the PDF is if you have nonrenderable objects displayed in your viewports, such as measurements and notes captured from your model space. But that I can work around by doing dimensions in paper space.
I may get around to using other PDF virtual printers such as lemel_man suggested, but for now Dean's method seems to do the work.

Edit: The only problem I have with saving to PDF is the file size. In the case of my current drawing, the TCW file is about 3MB, as the PDF file will be around 5MB. I tried changing render resolution in page set up, using "Screen Resolution" makes a smaller file than 150 DPI. Anything higher than that, the file is just too large. There are only 9 pages in my current drawing. I think I may just stick to printing off each page, then scan all into a single PDF, which comes out to about 580KB.

Hi Jason, I would need to see the file. You should be able to use the measurements and notes from model space and still achieve what you are after.  I can't think of why you would see the viewport box when enabling "non renderable objects" I can't replicate that.
Though I have and use Acrobat X1pro i like using the 'save as ' PDF in Turbo utilizing the ability to save multiple pages in one pdf. It's a nice way of presenting a design.
If you're looking to 'present" your drawing here's another thing you can try, it's a little bit of work but should cut down the pdf file size considerably, If it works for you.
> Save as a BMP all your views with dimensions from modelspace 
> Start a new drawing
 Then insert all the BMP's that you rendered into separate paperspaces and add notes etc...
Then "save as' a pDF all paperspaces.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* September 08, 2014, 09:48:10 AM
does a pdf created using Primo pdf save the layers?
No, a PDF is simply a digitized version of a printout on paper.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 08, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
Not necceserly, with Adobe i can make a pdf with the layers inside, possible to close/ open layers, but you maybe need to have Adobe for open it with the layers, have never tested that

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

September 08, 2014, 01:10:17 PM
If you save a TC file in Autocad format so that it can be opened in Adobe Illustrator, which can create a layered PDF. A layered PDF can be opened in Adobe Reader, and the layers made visible or invisible.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* September 08, 2014, 01:38:25 PM
Exactly, a dwg, dxf or u3d i e. can be saved like a pdf by Adobe and get the name *.pdf
But if i do so with a 3D file from TC at least the dwg file get veeery big :)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* September 08, 2014, 08:32:45 PM
Thanks I like the fact that the TC built in pdf writer gives you the ability to save the layers. For me its a useful feature.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks