TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

SEKE issue
Read 5253 times
* January 10, 2015, 01:50:46 PM
Hi,

I upgraded to v20 Platinum last March and everything worked fine until some time ago. NO SEKE will work anymore !!!

When I start a new drawing and a new line, when I press V, C, G, M, D, the new line will start where the pointer is. If I place the pointer at the end of the line and press M, the line again starts where the pointer is. It does not show any magnetic marks or line no matter the options I select in SNAP modes.

I uninstalled and cleaned the registry with finally the same issue. However I forgot to delete the installation folder. Will I lose my registration and be unable to re-install Platinum option.

I reinstalled v17 Pro and it works fine. I installed v17 and v20 on another computer and they work fine.

The next thing to try is to run Windows repair option, but I am afraid I may have to reinstall everything and it usually take weeks before everything is back to normal if ever it will, this computer is 4 years old with i7-920.

My questions are :
  • could it be a hardware issue ?
  • should I have deleted all files related to TC before reinstalling ?
  • Could there be a config file that is causing this issue ?

Regards

* January 10, 2015, 02:13:22 PM
If the SEKE's don't work, go to the "Tools / Customize—›Options" page. Click on the "Default" button if you don't have a custom configuration. If you have a custom configuration or used a supplied configuration from "Load From" list, select it, then click on the "Load From" button. In most cases that will clear things up.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 11, 2015, 03:05:47 AM
Thanks for your answer John.

I tried this many, many times with no avail. Still NO SNAP at all, start or end a line, circle or anything just where the pointer is.

Regards

* January 11, 2015, 04:51:53 AM
A shot in the dark; what Workspace style does the "Customize / Options" page say you're using in V20, "Defau't" or "LTE"? LTE has an "Alt" before their SEKE hotkeys.

Also, are the SEKE's listed in "Help / Keyboard?

Lastly, are the "SNAP/GEO" buttons active? They should be if you reinstalled.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 11, 2015, 05:51:21 AM
Hi John,

I just completed a system restore to dec 15 and it WORKS NOW. Everything seems OK

Thank you very much

Regards
Fern

* January 11, 2015, 06:17:41 AM
Good to hear that everything is back to normal. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 11, 2015, 07:10:25 PM
Hi,

Well, it did not last and I do not have an earlier restore point. I now have a useless TC20Plat

Regards

January 11, 2015, 07:28:24 PM
Hi,

Well, it did not last and I do not have an earlier restore point. I now have a useless TC20Plat

Regards

Perhaps try "Delete the contents of the built-in folder...".

Your issue sounds like a good candidate for this fix.

The procedure is explained in the second section here.
You will have to adapt the instruction (directory path) to your version and operating-system.

Don't worry, nor get too frustrated-- in all likelihood, you do not "have a useless TC20Plat".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:30:27 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

January 11, 2015, 07:48:25 PM
Interesting that all the SEKEs you report having an issue with (quote below) are Snaps with the "In Aperture Only" option.
Do you have that option checked or un-checked for those Snaps in your Drawing-Aids/Snaps settings?
May we see a screen-capture of your version-20 Drawing-Aids/Snap settings, such as mine below, please.

... NO SEKE will work anymore !!!

When I start a new drawing and a new line, when I press V, C, G, M, D, the new line will start where the pointer is.  If I place the pointer at the end of the line and press M, the line again starts where the pointer is. It does not show any magnetic marks or line no matter the options I select in SNAP modes.

____
Although, the oddest part of what you are reporting isn't that the Snap SEKEs aren't working; the oddest part is that-- as also stated in your quote above-- when you type a SEKE, the current active Tool will begin the insertion where the cursor is (with no "MouseClickOutsideSnapAperture" warning?).  That's why I suggested in my previous post to try the "Delete the contents of the Built-In folder..." fix-- because of this odd behavior.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:07:49 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 12, 2015, 04:01:16 PM
Hi Alvin

Thanks for your interest in my issue

Unfortunately, deleting not only Built-In but the whole dir and sub-dir at "C:\Users\Fernand\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\20" did not change a thing. Is there another folder somewhere ?

Here capture screen of my setting. If you think something is not right, let me know.

Regards

Fern
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:05:38 PM by FernV »

January 12, 2015, 04:13:11 PM
Hi Alvin

Thanks for your interest in my issue

Unfortunately, deleting not only Built-In but the whole dir and sub-dir at "C:\Users\Fernand\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\20" did not change a thing. Is there another folder somewhere ?

Here capture screen of my setting. If you think something is not right, let me know.

Dang!... I really thought that would do it.  That "Delete the contents of the Built-in Folder..." remedy can work seeming-miracles.
No, there is no other file/folder that I am aware of that I would direct you to.

Thanks for sharing all the screen-captures.

The only thing I* can think of-- looking at your screen-captures-- is to:  In the Customize/Options page, either click on "Default" (to the left of "Load From"), or choose a TurboCAD-provided/installed configuration (in the drop-down field-box under "Load From") then click "Load From".
Perhaps your custom "my_style" configuration file got hosed somehow.

Please report back after trying that.

~Alvin

*Keep in mind, as my disclaimer below my User Name states, I am only an intermediate-level TurboCADer; John R., who has been also helping you work through this, is one of the most expert TurboCADers on these Forums-- especially with matters like the issue you are having.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:15:38 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 12, 2015, 04:56:21 PM
This has happened to me before and the only I found to fix the problem was to run 'Repair'.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

January 12, 2015, 05:00:20 PM

Just another reach... another shot-in-the-dark:

Any chance you have X,Y,or Z locked--  in the Coordinates Fields (bottom-right of the TurboCAD desktop), and/or in MenuBar/Modes?

I can replicate a seemingly-similar behavior that you are reporting when I have one or more of those coordinate-fields locked.
I'm not so interested in or concentrating on the should-be-easy-to-solve issue of the Snap-SEKEs not working... it's that the Snaps are occurring where the cursor is, that is perplexing-- and the fact that Magnetic Point is not showing, though you have that option checked in Snap Settings and you do not have Running Snaps turned off.

~Alvin

[Note:  I was typing this as DonCW posted his Post, Reply #12.  Running "Repair" from Windows Control Panel/Programs [or some other way] sounds like another thing to try... even though everything you've already tried should have taken care of that.  Might as well try...]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:53:19 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 12, 2015, 05:29:44 PM
Try the old saying, 'A picture is worth a 1000 words'. Find the Turbocad Installer, in my case it's found in Documents. Click on it to open and start the install and go thru the required steps and pick Repair when the appropiate screen shows up and let the program do what has to. Hopefully this will fix the problem. This is NOT done thru Control Panel.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:31:51 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 12, 2015, 09:41:44 PM
Hi Alvin

I also thought it would fix the problem.

All my_style does is place the toolbars I want to use and the palettes I want visible on the screen at my right.

And I keep changing from Default to different configurations with always the same result. LTE does not work either. S,V,M,D,C,E,Q,I,G,N will start or end a 2D/3D drawing but O,W,X,K will not and T will not snap to an arc.

What bugs me is it was working perfectly well 3 weeks ago but not now. And suddenly I remember last week it crashed while I was editing my paper space title block. It did generate a report but I do not know where it saved it. Maybe I deleted it ?

Thanks for your comment Don and I decided to do it again (it is the fourth or fifth time I do it). I deleted the folder in roaming, ran the setup as admin, selected repair and before it was completed, I decided to remove it before reinstall and clicked cancel.

AND THEN IT HAPPENNED. Avast antivirus warned me that a file it considered a threat was put into quarantine and the file was (guess which one) SnapTool.dll and the folder was "C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSIDesign\TCWP20\Program\Draggers". I was stunned... Oh I love antiviruses >:(

So I looked in the folder and the file was not there. I deactivated Avast, restart the installer as admin and ran repair...

Started TCad and it runs perfectly now. Thanks Avast for 8 days of struggle.

I was tempted to reply to you I already tried this and that, what you suggested. But why ask for help if I do not listen when given ? So I decided to redo exactly what you said even if I already did it many times.

And I am happy I did. And I am thankful to you who answered, Alvin, Don, John
Once the source of the problem is found, the cure is easy to find.

Best regards
Fern

January 13, 2015, 01:56:56 AM
Just a thought but are you also running Windows Defender?

That little Microsoft built in has, of recent times, given me more than my fair share of program not working properly problems.

I would recommend you disable WD if you are using other forms of AV/Malware protection.

HTH

Best Regards
Bob

TC 14 Deluxe, TC 19 Pro
Windows 7, 64bit 8GB Ram

* January 13, 2015, 05:25:52 AM
Hi Bob

Windows Defender does not work in Windows 7 Home Edition. It has never been activated and can not be.

It is a pity that those supposedly mandatory programs like registry cleaners and antiviruses can mess a computer.

Regards
Fern

January 13, 2015, 05:29:01 AM
Thanks for posting back with the resolution Fern.

That's a great reminder why we should turn off Antivirus software when installing (known to be safe) programs.

Glad you got it worked out.  Happy drawing!  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 13, 2015, 05:36:38 AM
Hi Alvin

At first, Avast removed the file on it's scheduled scan, not while installing. I never deactivate antivirus when I install but I should. TCad worked fine for 9 months before this event.

When you look at the list of files that it wants to put into quarantine, you may find that most of them are not a threat and some are very usefull.

Regards
Fern