TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

2D to 3D?
Read 1711 times
June 27, 2014, 02:02:14 PM

I am unable to find any similar problems to mine so am posting here.  Hope it's the right place.

TC 20 Deluxe, recently installed but all seems to work.  Well, mot all <g>. 

I have a 2D drawing and wish to convert several objects in it to 3D.  The first object worked fine. But when I try to do it again, same view, same plane, etc., specifically in this case making a wall 12' high, I get an error message as follows:
-------
TurboCAD Warning
   Editing the selected  2D object in the 3D mode changes the object's WorkPlane. To set the WorkPlane, use the 'Place on WorkPlane' option from the Modify menu.
-------
   OK, sounds easy enough, EXCEPT:
   The Modify menu has no such entry as "Place on WorkPlane"! And neither does any other menu item, including checking sub-menus for it as well. It just is not there! 
      There IS such a menu item under Format, but ... it does nothing to place my component on the workplane, or even the entire layer.

HOW do I make a 2D object (a straight wall in this case, placed as a rectangle, 3D so I can give it a height? Nothing I can find seems to have anything to do with the proper WorkPlane.
   I've tried it in World View and ISO views also with no joy.

Any thoughts or assistance most appreciated!

Regards,

Twayne`

Live life to the max and
pay it forward, or
... .

* June 27, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
What method did you use to convert the 2D object to 3D? Deluxe has 3D tools to create 3D objects from closed 2D profiles; i.e. Simple Extrude, Rail Sweep, etc. You also have 3D Primitive tools; such as Box, Cylinder, etc.

re: Place On Workplane…
It depends on what Workspace is being used. It used to be at "Format / Place On WorkPlane", but it was moved to the Modify menu along with many other tools. You could try the hotkey "Shift+Alt+W".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

June 27, 2014, 03:50:23 PM
... specifically in this case making a wall 12' high ...

In (specifically) Walls' case, we set the height not via the Inspector Bar, but rather by the Walls' Properties "Wall" page ("Height" field).

[Edit: Or, via the Selection Info Palette, under the "Double Line (Wall) properties" section; in the "Height" field.]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:56:37 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

June 27, 2014, 04:01:31 PM
   Great to have knowledgeable folk around!  I understand the responses and thank you both.

Regards,

Live life to the max and
pay it forward, or
... .

June 27, 2014, 04:03:06 PM
   Great to have knowledgeable folk around!  I understand the responses and thank you both.

Regards,

You're welcome.  Please see my [Edit]/addition to my previous Post.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)