TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Writing on a box
Read 2083 times
* May 31, 2014, 10:21:03 AM
I have an interest in creating a logo which consists of letters on the side of a cube like the UML logo here (yes, mine is related).  I actually want two cubes connected by a plane with letters on all surfaces from as seen front center up.  The cubes themselves will end up invisible.  So far, I know how to do all of that, but how, with TCPro15 do I apply a letter to the surface of the cube?

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

* May 31, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
Since you didn't attach a picture, I went with the United Modeling Language logo.

I see two ways to do this.
  • Create each letter as a square image, then use "Insert / Picture / From File". Change the workplane to each face on the Box to place them.
  • Create each letter as a Material. Apply to 3 rectangles that have been formatted as a Surface from Profile. Move and rotate like any 3D object
About the Box — remove the 3 faces with the Facet Editing tool. Select just the 3 faces, then drag a selection window around the whole Box while holding the Shift key. The 3 faces will be deselected while all the back faces are selected. "Format / Create Surface / From Faces. This will leave you with a renderable shell. If the Box is left as a Box, the images or the materials might not show. They're competing for the same space as the faces on the Box.

My 2 cents.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 31, 2014, 02:21:07 PM
Very nice, I'll give that a try.

* May 31, 2014, 02:34:32 PM
There's a V15 file in the Zip.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

May 31, 2014, 03:24:01 PM
I have an interest in creating a logo which consists of letters on the side of a cube like the UML logo here (yes, mine is related).  I actually want two cubes connected by a plane with letters on all surfaces from as seen front center up.  The cubes themselves will end up invisible.  So far, I know how to do all of that, but how, with TCPro15 do I apply a letter to the surface of the cube?

I went a slightly different route... using neither the "Image" nor "Material" method:

>I drew a cube-- equal length edges.  Put that on its own Layer.
>I then drew each individual letter Text, changing the Workplane as needed to each of the three faces of the cube.  (Workplane by Facet; and/or Workplane by 3 Points)  The Text are all on another Layer.
>I Exploded all the Texts twice each, creating Polylines.
>Scaled each to the edges of the Cube (by Selecting them, then pulling on the Selection Box, Nearest on Graphic-Snapping to the Cube edges); then-- with "Keep Aspect Ratio" active-- Scaled each Text individually by a factor of .95 (.98 might have worked better... been more like the UML logo John linked to)
>In each (Text's) Properties, changed the Line type to "Invisible", the Brush to Solid.  Changed the colors of the Brushes.
>Made not-Visible the Layer the Cube is on.
>Went to (Standard) Isometric SW View, then used "Examine" Tool to rotate to my liking.
>Created PNG of view.

____
Created this in my version-19, so I can't save to version-15.  With a little forethought, I should have created it in my version-11 so that I could have shared the .tcw file with you; I can do that, if you think you can make use of it.

-Alvin
[Edit:  Attached is an AutoCAD .dwg file-- AC2000-- that should open intact in TurboCAD version-15]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:01:51 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 01, 2014, 06:59:49 AM
Nice.  New tools to try!