TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Precision Scale set to 10
Read 2374 times
* May 11, 2014, 10:58:25 AM
I'm working on a drawing with a compound angled porch roof. In both Space Options and Dimension Properties the scale is set to 10. What does the value shown in the screenshot represent?

Thanks for your input.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* May 11, 2014, 11:44:44 AM
Even though Precision is set to 10, it will round off your dimension to 6 places. I would go into the Style Manager and "Dimension Styles". Under "Units", change the "Round off for primary" to something like "1e-15". Back in Properties, I can try to specify that higher round off, but it resets/displays "1e-07" when I OK from that dialog. When I use the dimension tool, the dimension does display all 10 digits.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

May 11, 2014, 11:57:15 AM
I'm working on a drawing with a compound angled porch roof. In both Space Options and Dimension Properties the scale is set to 10. What does the value shown in the screenshot represent?

Thanks for your input.

That is Scientific Notation.  You know how there is that "Scientific" option in a few of the places for Unit "Format"?

If you're not familiar with it-- and I barely am-- it's pretty easy to get a handle on.   Just Google it, if you're not used to it.  A couple of sentences of reading in Wikipedia will give the basics.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

May 11, 2014, 12:12:45 PM
Also, for house or other similar type building plans Don, I doubt that you want any Precision-- Drawing Space Units or Dimensions-- any higher than 2, (right?)

You draw in Millimeters (mm) don't you?  A Precision of 2 would be 1/100th of a Millimeter-- smaller than anyone can measure, tick with a pencil, and/or cut.

A Precision of 2, using the Metric system/Millimeters, would result in a Precision equivalent to 1/.254th of an inch in the English system (that's "one/two-hundred-fifty-fourths of an inch").  In the USA, using the English system, for building construction plans, I don't think anyone with experience uses a Precision higher than 1/16"-- it would be silly and inefficient to do so.
  (I think I did that conversion right; if not, someone will correct me.  Either way... a Precision greater than 2 in the Metric system, using Millimeter as Space Units is pretty danged small.)

-Alvin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:21:42 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 11, 2014, 08:30:45 PM
Even though Precision is set to 10, it will round off your dimension to 6 places. I would go into the Style Manager and "Dimension Styles". Under "Units", change the "Round off for primary" to something like "1e-15". Back in Properties, I can try to specify that higher round off, but it resets/displays "1e-07" when I OK from that dialog. When I use the dimension tool, the dimension does display all 10 digits.

Thanks John,

I didn't understand what the 1E was about. Alvin's post explaining it was a scientific equation cleared that up. As always, your help is appreciated.  :)

DonCW
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10

* May 11, 2014, 09:17:57 PM
Also, for house or other similar type building plans Don, I doubt that you want any Precision-- Drawing Space Units or Dimensions-- any higher than 2, (right?)

You draw in Millimeters (mm) don't you?  A Precision of 2 would be 1/100th of a Millimeter-- smaller than anyone can measure, tick with a pencil, and/or cut.

A Precision of 2, using the Metric system/Millimeters, would result in a Precision equivalent to 1/.254th of an inch in the English system (that's "one/two-hundred-fifty-fourths of an inch").  In the USA, using the English system, for building construction plans, I don't think anyone with experience uses a Precision higher than 1/16"-- it would be silly and inefficient to do so.
  (I think I did that conversion right; if not, someone will correct me.  Either way... a Precision greater than 2 in the Metric system, using Millimeter as Space Units is pretty danged small.)

-Alvin

Thanks Alvin,
For a living I do millwork shop drawings and the most part they are dimensioned in 'mm'. precision is set to 2 and a Round Off to .1. That's efficient enough for the shop drawings, but I try to do  drawings outside of my scope of work. I came across a building with a sloping porch roof and the only way I could get angles of the roof to work was to set the precision to 10. Thanks for explaining is was a Scientific equation and you do have a good grasp of the metric system.     

DonCW
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10