TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

flashlight
Read 1576 times
June 22, 2014, 08:57:22 PM
Working up my next Quirky submission. All I can say at this point is that it's a flashlight.

Had a lot of fun with the model, learned some new riffs. The SHELL command is hot stuff. Made the Santoprene inserts on the sides as geometry, by lofting three arcs, bottom to top, then shelling the surface 0.01" thick. Snap! The LEDs are teeny spotlights behind hemispheres of stock plexiglas 4 material; the lights are wheat color, 7W, with 90° beam spread, soft shadows, and quadratic falloff. Glass lenses over top. Lotta tweakering to get 'em to cast light onto the table just right. As a first draft, it might be a bit overdesigned for efficient production, but I'm diggin' how it came out.

Soon as my next roll of filament arrives, I'll make a prototype. It's been a great weekend.
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* July 02, 2014, 03:07:37 PM
Interesting design Steve, good luck with the proto-type,  With the separate lights it looks designed for more wide angle use rather than the usual direct spot light, I wondered if adding - say - a ring of 6 on each side would produce quite powerful wide angle light in a small size.

just speculating, good luck,  ....... Andy