TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

text on a cylinder
Read 2405 times
October 30, 2009, 06:48:24 AM
hello.

is it possible to wrap text around a cylinder ? (for example a bottle)
i know its possible to project 2D rectangles etc. to a cylinder but i havent found a way to project text to the cylinder. any help appreciated. :)

i use turbocad professional 16.0

sveinungb
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:55:44 AM by sveinungb »

* October 30, 2009, 09:02:03 PM
hello.

is it possible to wrap text around a cylinder ? (for example a bottle)
i know its possible to project 2D rectangles etc. to a cylinder but i havent found a way to project text to the cylinder. any help appreciated. :)

i use turbocad professional 16.0

sveinungb

There are several ways to do this, none of which is really easy. Least difficult but perhaps most mysterious, IMO, is to wrap a 2D image of the text (.JPG or .BMP). This procedure requires one to create a new Material using "Wrapped Image" Pattern and "Cylindrical" Wrapping.

A more tedious but more straightforward way is to create the text as individual 3D objects ("Flexible" Mode, with a nonzero 3D Thickness). Move the characters into position manually, embedding them in the cylinder but protruding slightly. 3D-Add the characters to make a single object. Make a copy of the cylinder. Subtract the "text" object from one copy of the cylinder, being sure that "Don't remove the subtrahend" is enabled. 3D-Intersect the "text" object with the other copy of the cylinder. Attached screenshot is a trivial example of this method.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:08:51 PM by Henry Hubich »

* October 30, 2009, 10:39:15 PM
There is a wrapped cylinder in the Testing Materials.TCW file in the Samples\3D Samples folder that may be of some help, but Henry is the master on explaining how to do it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit