TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Training
Read 3152 times
January 18, 2014, 02:28:37 AM
Hi everyone

I'm a new user to TurboCad 20 Deluxe and have no/limited funds.

Is there a free training/tutorial guide for a complete novice that will take up to a reasonable level.

I am interested in producing 2D floor plans for my house to start with. Maybe later going on to 3D but obviously not yet! I have tried playing with it but to no avail and fear I will abandon it if I can't use it properly.

Any advice welcomed.

* January 18, 2014, 06:09:21 AM
Have checked youtube for Turbocad 20 House Plans by Paul Tracey. Look like there was two or tutorials. Will look around for a PDF file based tutorial. Also check CADcourse.com they have free movies. And there is CADdigest,com under TurboCAD, are tutorials you can download. Eventually you might want to check out Textural Creations website by Don Cheke.

Ken Simmons
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:18:02 AM by Ken Simmons »

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* January 18, 2014, 06:58:41 AM
What worked for me is to do the 2D/3D training course from TurboCad.

Then I used the Don Cheke Courses... the 3D architectural presentation.
http://www.textualcreations.ca/Don_Cheke's_TurboCAD_Tips.html

No problem getting permits and having suppliers do take offs right off the 2D and 3D renderings.

Since he does not package them up -- get them through TurboCad...
http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCAD-Windows/Training/Architectural-Tutorial-Bundle-for-TurboCAD-Pro

Worth every penny and then a few. Understanding the workplanes is essential and knowing how to make templates can save hours of work.

Can't emphasize enough how important it is for your basic knowledge to rock solid before taking on houses.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

January 18, 2014, 08:21:14 AM
Brilliant advice i'll certainly take that up and definitely agree that getting the basics nailed first is worth a whole lot of woe later on.

* January 18, 2014, 12:02:31 PM
whilst some of these video's  are specific to the pro version, many are applicable to deluxe.

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=TC+related+video+index

Andy

January 18, 2014, 02:14:35 PM
I am interested in producing 2D floor plans for my house to start with. Maybe later going on to 3D but obviously not yet! I have tried playing with it but to no avail and fear I will abandon it if I can't use it properly.
If you don't know what you don't know, how are you supposed to know what you should know?  You know?

Hi Mutley,  If you are going to be starting with drawing a floorplan of your (existing?) house, I would suggest you start with learning about:
  • Page Setup Wizard, which for the novice, is a very simple and efficient way of setting up a drawing, including the type and precision of the Space Units he/she wants to draw in.  (Space Units example:  English system; Format Category [probably Architectural, in your case]; World Units [ " in U.S.A; mm elsewhere]; Decimal Precision [4 ought to serve you in the USA; that's 1/16" in the English system], etc.)
  • Layers-- Just the basics: creating them, adjusting a few of their settings, and using them.  You don't need to concern yourself with Layer Templates or Layers Filters at this time; those features are a lot to grasp, and you can get by without them.
  • the architectural Wall Tool; including setting the Pen, Brush, and Wall Properties.
  • Snaps, including SEKEs (Single Equivalent Keyboard Entries).  For drawing a floorplan, you will want to have a grasp of Vertex, Intersection, Middle, and Nearest on Graphic Snaps, as well as the Ortho option typically located within the Snaps Toolbar; those should be sufficient to efficiently draw a floorplan.*
  • Construction Tools (Horizontal & Vertical Construction Lines; Angular Construction Lines; Parallel Construction Lines; and Construction Circle)
  • the Dimension Tool, including the Orthogonal Dimension, Parallel Dimension, and Continuous Dimension.
In addition, you might want to learn how to set up and use a Grid.  I don't use a Grid, never did.  I believe that many if not most others do.  But if you are drawing an existing house floorplan, I can't see that a Grid is going to serve you much purpose.  *If you use a Grid, you will want to learn about the Grid Snap as well.

----
You will be drawing in Modelspace (the active tab at the bottom/left of the TurboCAD drawing desktop should say "Model") for now at Full Scale (meaning that, for example, when drawing a 20' long Wall, you will be entering a length value of 20').  If you stick with it-- and us-- we'll teach you later how to take your Modelspace floorplan and place it onto "a sheet of paper"-for-printing in Paperspace, at an appropriate scale.

Use the videos links and other resources the others referred you to.  Look for those videos and other Tutorials on the subjects I detailed above.  The videos that Andy linked you to might include the videos that Rip Fowler (with IMSIDesign; Forum User Name "turbotech" ; I'm pretty sure that Rip is the one that made all the videos attributed to "Posted By... IMSIDesign") posted on these Forums, available at the top of the Tips and Tricks Forum, but check there as well.

You might be tempted, but I wouldn't suggest using the House Wizard feature.  For now, just focus on drawing Walls, of accurate widths (e.g.: 3½" for U.S. 2x4 walls; and 5½" for U.S. 2x6 walls), of accurate lengths, and accurately placed, using the Standard Wall Style provided.  In addition, you will want to learn how to Dimension the Walls' lengths and placements; the only way to verify that you drew the Walls of your floorplan correctly is to insert Dimensions indicating their lengths and placements in relation to one another.

----
Your first objective is to get the Walls of your floorplan drawn and insert the Dimensions. Get that far along, and you've learned some good basics.  Get that far along-- and you haven't abandoned TurboCAD and us-- we''ll take you to the next step of creating and placing Windows, Doors, Cabinets, and plumbing fixtures.

(the above advice is assuming that you have absolutely no prior experience or education in CAD)

-Alvin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:22:13 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)