TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

New TurboCAD user (experienced in 2D AutoCAD)
Read 5648 times
* October 22, 2009, 05:47:19 AM
Hi everyone,

New poster here, so go easy!  ;)

Anyway, the reason for my post is that after being made redundant six months ago I have landed a very good and what I think will be enjoyable new job.

However, having spent most of my career using AutoCAD products (LT generally, but most recently, 2009 LT) wholly the 2D aspects,  my new jon uses TurboCAD and so I am just wondering if the transistion between AutoCAD and TurboCAD will be a relatively easy one for me?

To try to make my first few days as good as possible, I have downloaded the trial version and am having a bit of a play around with it, but I must admit, i'm a bit lost!! ???

Just wondering whether anyone can pass on any hints/tips/advice on making things a bit easier for me? Are there any tutorials? What are the major differences between AutoCAD and TurboCAd?

Thanks in advance,

Any advice will be very much appreciated. :)

Ebor

* October 22, 2009, 06:00:38 AM
Not being an Acad user, I still suspect that there may be some things you'll miss,   and many things that you'll now like.
CadCourse (a great third party company) offers a download or CD specifically addressing some of the change overs. Find it at-    http://cadcourse.net/autocad.aspx

Welcome .. and good luck.

* October 22, 2009, 06:02:19 AM
Hi AE,

Thanks for your prompt reply!!! .... Your link is exactly the thign I was was after!

Many thanks again.

All the best.

* October 22, 2009, 07:13:15 AM
Hi AE,

Thanks for your prompt reply!!! .... Your link is exactly the thign I was was after!

Many thanks again.

All the best.

As an added note Cadcourse has Training Movies to help get you started.

Good luck!

Don

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

October 22, 2009, 10:54:54 AM
IMSI/Design sells a PDF book covering this as well - TurboCAD for AutoCAD users. Maybe this could be useful.

"TurboCAD for AutoCAD Users is a PDF book that teaches AutoCAD users how to use TurboCAD by comparing analogous features and operations in TurboCAD and AutoCAD."

http://www.turbocad.com/Products/TrainingMaterials/TurboCADforAutoCADUsers/tabid/119/Default.aspx

* October 23, 2009, 07:11:57 AM
When I first started learning CAD, I tried Autocad LT,  and about the same time tried the then-current version of Turbocad.   I found Turbocad FAR easier to learn than Autocad.    Since you already know Autocad, you may have some "habits" that need re-aligning, but for the new user, there simply is no comparison.

* October 23, 2009, 08:42:58 AM
Thanks guys,

So, it's safe to say that TurboCAD is easier to learn than AutoCAD then?

One thing that definitly strikes me is the lack of ANY keyboard short cuts.  :-[ ???

* October 23, 2009, 08:48:02 AM
Lots of keyboard shortcuts available... which you can not only change but define your own too.

Click on the Help pulldown and click on Keyboard... it will show you a list of the shortcuts... called SEKE's in TC.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* October 23, 2009, 08:49:59 AM
Ah, ok, thanks Greg.

I hope to get a whistestop tour on my first day as this will inevitably shed a lot more light on things ....

If I wanted to buy a (cheap) copy for myself? Where would I go? I think I saw the that company uses v11.0 - how much could I pick this up for?

Thanks again everyone.

* October 23, 2009, 04:46:28 PM
Just punch it in to your browser.. You'll find copies. I still use v11 for much of my 2D work specifically as I'm used to it much more than v16, and it was one of the more solid workhorse versions in my opinion.

October 28, 2009, 01:02:48 PM
Hello. I began on Acad version 10 and worked in Autodesk up thru 2005. I presently work in TC14 Pro Architectural. I admit I experimented with TurboCad 10/11 years back.
You will find TC slower and less intuitive at first, as I have, until you throw out the
old Acad habits and learn the TurboCad approach. It then becomes faster and faster for you. I go to the keyboard more for SEKES and must remember that selection is not the default mode. That is the biggest change, in that implied windowing does not enable you to select and then issue a command. You must choose select, make selection, then issue editing command. It is an easy transition, but seems you are lost at first.

TCW newbie (Architectural)