TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

3 Questions
Read 1724 times
* December 07, 2013, 03:55:59 AM
1- How to create an icon for the command "modify/place on worplane" ?   using TC 20 DLX

2- I have a round pipe (object) with no circle polyline in round facet,
how (the simple or best way) to find a center of the pipe round side to draw a circle?

3- Where does the auto-save save the file? what name does it use? does it save over
the original?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:01:56 AM by Duram »

* December 07, 2013, 06:25:20 AM
  • How to create an icon for the command "modify/place on worplane" ?   using TC 20 DLX
    Go to New UI Customize Toolbars in the Wiki. There's a couple of paragraphs on Editing tool icons.

• I have a round pipe (object) with no circle polyline in round facet, how (the simple or best way) to find a center of the pipe round side to draw a circle?
    I would use Workplane by 3 Points to establish the workplane, then create a "Triple Point Circle" using either the flats or the end points of the facets representing the cylinder as a Snap point.

• Where does the auto-save save the file? what name does it use? does it save over the original?
    After 10 minutes of drawing, the program creates a "ASV" file (i.e. tmp2.asv) in the AutoSave folder (same location as your Drawings folder). It will update every 10 minutes, as long as you keep drawing/editing. If the program  "crashes", the ASV is retained and you can recover your work from that folder. Once you do a normal Save (Ctrl+S), that file goes away and that information updates your drawing (TCW) file. The AutoSave operation should start again, as soon as you start drawing. Normally, this folder should be empty at the end of the day; all files having become drawing files.
    The way I look at this:
    The ASV file becomes your TCW file,
    The TCW file becomes your BAK (BackUp) file.
    The BAK file, if present, is dumped (replaced by the newer version).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

December 07, 2013, 06:36:00 AM
  • Where does the auto-save save the file? what name does it use? does it save over the original?
    After 10 minutes of drawing, the program creates a "ASV" file (i.e. tmp2.asv) in the AutoSave folder (same location as your Drawings folder). It will update every 10 minutes, as long as you keep drawing/editing. If the program  "crashes", the ASV is retained and you can recover your work from that folder. Once you do a normal Save (Ctrl+S), that file goes away and that information updates your drawing (TCW) file. The AutoSave operation should start again, as soon as you start drawing. Normally, this folder should be empty at the end of the day; all files having become drawing files.

So... How is an AutoSAVE (ASV) file recovered?  Does the last ASV automatically overwrite the last TCW upon the crash?

[EDIT]:  Figuring you already contributed this answer to the Wiki, John, I searched the Wiki and found that answer in the FAQs-- or at least the partial answer.  I assume it was you who made the Wiki contribution:

"Question:  Where can I get my lost files

Answer:  A file with a name like, "tmp2.asv"? (These files are buried deeply in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\My Documents\TurboCAD of the appropriate version\AutoSave.) If so, you can open it just like a .tcw file: In TurboCAD, go to File|Open and navigate to the file (You will have to enable "All files" in the "File of type" window), select it, and press the "Open" button."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:46:53 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 07, 2013, 07:33:44 AM
If you crash, the ASV remains. Your TCW isn't touched. The TCW is basically disconnected from the drawing until you Save. If you have an ASV file, normal "File / Open" will open it (use the "All Files" setting). You can Save that ASV under the original drawings' name (overwriting the original) or as a new drawing (i.e. Original name-01).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* December 07, 2013, 07:48:24 AM
  • How to create an icon for the command "modify/place on worplane" ?   using TC 20 DLX
    Go to New UI Customize Toolbars in the Wiki. There's a couple of paragraphs on Editing tool icons.

the command "modify/place on worplane" is one that does not have an icon to it and I can find
the command on costumize/command/all commands but can not move it to any place or toolbar
or create an icon, why is this different of the others?[/list]

circle by 3 point worked great,thanks.

* December 07, 2013, 08:16:38 AM
re: …cannot move it to any place or toolbar or create an icon. Why is this different of the others?

It works okay for me.

Go to the "Customize / Commands" page.
Click-n-drag the "Place on Workplane" command to an existing Toolbar or Menu.
While the Customize dialog is still open, right-click on the newly place tool.
Select "Change Button Image" from that Local Menu.
Pick an image, such as the 'down arrow'.
You should now have an icon in the toolbar instead of text.
The menu command should display both the button and the text.
Now you can close the Customize dialog.

You may want to update your custom Workspace configuration.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:19:26 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* December 07, 2013, 09:13:02 AM
re: …cannot move it to any place or toolbar or create an icon. Why is this different of the others?

It works okay for me.

Go to the "Customize / Commands" page.
Click-n-drag the "Place on Workplane" command to an existing Toolbar or Menu.
While the Customize dialog is still open, right-click on the newly place tool.
Select "Change Button Image" from that Local Menu.
Pick an image, such as the 'down arrow'.
You should now have an icon in the toolbar instead of text.
The menu command should display both the button and the text.
Now you can close the Customize dialog.

You may want to update your custom Workspace configuration.

worked now, I was moving to a wrong place, thanks  alo changed the icon and save workplace.

How to back up/copy this workplace file I saved all workplace config to use in other versions?

* December 07, 2013, 09:42:49 AM
re: …How to back up/copy this workplace file I saved, all workplace config to use in other versions?

Go to the "Customize / Options" page.
Click on the "Browse" button.
This will take you to the "Config" folder where your saved Workspace is stored.
The Workspace is made up of 2 like-named files; one in the XCFG format, the other in the XML format.
These two files can be copied to TurboCAD V20 Deluxe on another computer or later versions of Deluxe on your current computer.
I'm not sure if they will work in earlier versions of TurboCAD.

As long as you do not save to one of their supplied Workspace's, you should be okay. An Update or reinstall will not touch your custom named Workspace files, though you will need to reload after either.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled