TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

New a have an input question.
Read 1832 times
December 01, 2013, 01:21:03 PM
Whoda thunk, new and has questions. Well intros first. My name is indeed Dave and I am indeed in 3d. Im attempting to self teach CAD, TurboCAD to be exact, and Im looking for something that may or may not exist. While the mouse and shortcut commands are fine, Im looking for something to trace templates. Im creating custom parts for motorcycles, which is what got me to working in CAD. The back and forth measuring leaves a great deal to be desired so, I fall back on my analogue days. I can make a poster board template of a flat part and trace on to the metal Im working with. Is there a way ro do this in TurboCAD? Wacom says their Inkling isnt up to the job and Ive been fruitless in my own searches.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Dave

Making broken things fun again.

December 02, 2013, 02:33:35 PM
Wow. Maybe its something that doesnt exist.

December 02, 2013, 03:13:12 PM
Welcome to the TC forum Dave...!

You could use a flatbed scanner and import the image to trace over. I have used a Wacom tablet also and it does work. It depends on the size of the parts you are trying to CAD really.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

December 02, 2013, 05:23:23 PM
These are piece 20"+. Trim for windshields and the like. Many pieces have compound arcs and some scrolls. Ill just have to do things the way I have been while I learn TC to the point I can start drawing them digital. Thanks for the scanner idea though. I do have an old sheet feed scanner that will take 11" wide stock.

* December 02, 2013, 07:30:45 PM
It wouldn't be outrageous to perhaps make yourself a large enough backing board with a grid, say 5mm or so, lay your template onto it and take a photograph of it, from as far back as your lens can still make out the grid.  That'll minimise perspective/wide angle effects, and make it relatively easy to trace the picture imported into TC.  Is this to have your parts laser cut or milled, or for convenience in printing patterns?

December 03, 2013, 02:39:48 PM
After talking to a couple of the guys at work about it they agreed that the photo import approach might be my best bet. Course they seem...snoddy I guess is the correct word when they find out Im learning TC instead of AutoCad. But it was my understanding the TC and AC were basicly the same, just from different companies. Like Adobe and Corel. Both great progams just different vendors.

Murray this is to have drawings to send to the laser/water jet and have cut. Im attempting to jump into cad to make the custom part of making custom parts easier. I know I know easier while learning CAD seems silly. I really like working less primitive. It just makes for a better first impression of me and my work. I have an older but still good camera and stand and a large enough space on the wall to mount the grid sheet. This is something I used in my vinyl work years ago with a program called Sticky Yard. Just kinda in reverse.

Thanks for all the great input for what may seem like an annoying newbie.