TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Spatially Challenged - Workplanes for Dummey's?
Read 1610 times
* November 30, 2013, 02:20:38 PM
V 18 Delux user.  I've finally figured out (at least I think I've figured out) that workplanes are the key to 3d drawings.  The user guide with my program explains workplanes but doesn't really fill the bill for me - I need something with lots of "put the workplane here if you want to do this" examples.  Kind of a Workplanes for Dummey's manual.  Anything out there on-line?  I've found  Cheke's "TurboCAD Pro V19.3 - Workplanes, Demystifying TurboCAD Workplanes" on-line, and it looks like it will help.  Anything else (more basic?).

November 30, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
I personally wouldn't say that workplanes are the key to 3D drawings but are a tool for manipulating objects and starting points for object creation.

Working in a 3D space you can move objects without the need to change workplanes.

You can for instance create all the primitives on the world workplane and then move and rotate in any direction.

Don't get to hung up on thinking you need to keep changing workplanes.

Setting your Selector Mode as image attached gives you more freedom for 3D drawing as 2D parts can be positioned freely.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:18:41 PM by Darrel Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

November 30, 2013, 04:30:43 PM
Until you have that "aha"-moment-- and you will, if you have enough motivation to stick with it-- Workplanes will seem a nebulous concept.  Then-- after that light-bulb comes on-- you will not know how you couldn't/didn't conceptualize them in the first place.

I just came across this video*, posted here by Rip Fowler.  It should be a good start.

But you do just have to play with it until that "aha"-moment.  Maybe try to draw something real-world that's simple.  Something you have lying around that you can reference and measure.

I suggest, to aid you:  Via the Customize windows/pages, activate the Workplane toolbar and place it somewhere easily and quickly accessible (I leave mine floating when I'm drawing 3D) and the Standard Views toolbar as well (which I also leave floating); in the video, Rip has them as Pop-Ups at the top of his Local Menu-- those toolbars is what he's working with.  Work in the Standard Isometric Views-- or switch to them from the Standard Orthograpic Views-- as much as possible.

Also, via Menu Bar->Workspace, turn on "User Coordinate System" (& "World Coordinate System") and pay attention to where it is and its orientation as you experiment with the Workplane tools.  The "World Coordinate System" is built in stone, is part of the inner-workings of the CAD system, and cannot be changed; it is upon this "World Coordinate System" that all other coordinates and Coordinate Systems (Workplanes) will be based.   The "User Coordinate System" is essentially the current Workplane, the active Workplane/Coordinate system you create as you are drawing, or: the Workplane/Coordinate System that becomes active when you Select a pre-drawn object with your Selector Tool in "2D Selector Mode" and that object resides on a different Workplane than the current active Workplane (you might want to re-read that... slooowwwly). 

----
[EDIT]:  I just watched Rip's video that I posted the link to.  Unfortunately, although well-intentioned I'm sure, it doesn't seem to be "for dummies".  I'm new enough to drawing in 3D that I totally remember having no clue as to what Workplanes are, how to set them, and how to work with them.  It's just very difficult to explain the concept of Workplanes to someone brand new to them without being physically present with the student.  You're just going to have to (frustratingly) work with them, I guess.
Like most things in Life:  It really just comes down to how motivated you are.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:54:24 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 01, 2013, 01:27:11 PM
Don Cheke's tutorial is excellent.