TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

3D Printers
Read 2036 times
* November 17, 2013, 07:34:15 PM
Now that 3D printers cost less than computers, I'm interested in looking at them. I have had parts printed by professional services with good results. Does anyone have experience that they would be interested in sharing?

I'm interested in:

reliability
precision
large print volume
low material cost (ABS)

November 18, 2013, 05:06:00 AM
I visited a client in NJ a little while ago. They have been using a Makerbot Replicator 2 and have just bought a second one (Makerbot Replicator 2X) for increased output. I was quite amazed at the output and the precision that it was giving. I had always wondered how good these hot melt 3D printers were and was completely surprised with what I saw when printed hi-res. I'd buy one myself, but the cost is still too high to warrant me having one. I personally don't have a need for one at this point.

November 18, 2013, 08:01:14 AM
Not sure about printers in USA but I looked at some in UK and the only thing that put me off was the surface finish that needed filling and smoothing  but then I was looking at cheap ones (under £1000) not the professional ones costing a lot more.

Like Don I did not have sufficient need to warrant the expenditure.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

November 18, 2013, 09:06:59 AM
I tried a low cost one whose name had better be not mentioned.  It came as a flat pack and required assembly, but the materials of which it was made were such as to give a 0.1 turn span between a screw not being tight enough and too tight so the material cracked.
When we got it to work, the plastic it extruded didn't really want to stick to the base, so the model tended to come loose in areas and warp.  Altogether it was a hell of a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

* November 18, 2013, 11:09:04 AM
Hi
I bought an Afinia about 2 months ago. It is a rebranded dp3 which is sold world wide. It works very well and I'm very happy with it.

Dickl

* November 18, 2013, 02:32:56 PM
The two that I have read the most good things about are:

Makerbot 2X  $2799 (as mentioned above) http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x.html
Makergear M2 $1775 http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x.html

The Makerbot has better resolution on paper. The Makergear has a larger build area (large build area is something I need).

Both have heated plates for doing ABS and use plastic rolls.

One problem I have had in the past is material that warps over time. I was wondering if people find that ABS holds its shape.

November 18, 2013, 07:22:57 PM
amazon.com/gp/product/B008CM2TCU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RK4QCP0IFCY
Read purchasers' reviews.

Pro Platinum 2016/23.2/61.2
Oregon, Illinois, USA