TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Rural Tourist Accommodation
Read 3875 times
* September 08, 2013, 03:11:36 PM
I recently purchased a copy of Photoshop and trialing overlaying backgrounds. A little way to go to be professional but encouraging. Image of house created in TC quality render.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:21:43 PM by Bob Burgess »

September 08, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

* September 09, 2013, 06:30:59 AM
Very nice Bob, I tried to do what you have done a while back and finely gave up. I guess I need to try again. The background and my drawing just did not match up right. I am wondering how you got your background to match the turbocad drawing. My drawing just would not sit on the ground level. If I ever get it to work I will post. Carroll 

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

September 09, 2013, 03:14:22 PM
Nicely Done Bob.

I have played around with environment background and you may find the 'Match View' in Scaled Image a good option. Whatever camera setting and perspective angle (start with 42) the image will stay aligned with the camera.

Change your draft render to the settings below so you can quickly alter your POV etc.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* September 10, 2013, 05:36:44 AM
Hey, Thanks Guys, I will give it a try and see what I come up with. Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

September 15, 2013, 04:07:44 PM
Excellent Bob.

A suggestion: If you are familiar with playing with layers in Photoshop, try putting in an extra one in between the house and background, and using a semi-transparent grey brush, paint in a shadow from the house.  It'll help make the house look grounded rather than floating over the scene.  In the example below I could also have blurred out the edges of the shadow to make it look more realistic as it is too sharp at the moment.

Gaz
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:14:56 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

September 16, 2013, 09:47:42 PM
Hey Bob, real nice.  I like the street-level one a lot.

Uhhm...isn't there some sort of "shadow catcher" function in TCAD?  So a cast shadow from the house can be saved as a texture or layer...???  I seem to remember something.  Otherwise, Gaz I like your approach.  I'm adding it to my workflow!  Photoshop's FREE TRANSFORM tool can do amazing stuff.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

September 16, 2013, 09:53:52 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes the Shadow Catcher is great for casting sharp shadows, specially onto a photgraphic background within TC.
The method I mentioned above is for when you are laying a rendered house over a photographic background outside of TC.
So the method also works for TuboFloorPlan which has no shadow catcher.
Bit busy on a job at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll do a quick tutorial.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

September 16, 2013, 11:03:27 PM
I'm supposed to be working at the moment so I'll use a pic I did in TC about a year ago.
A mate brought his Yamaha FZ over and had it sitting in my garage, so I took a photo of it (bike in the middle).
Just for the fun of it I tried modelling the bike in TC, and once finished I used Photoshop to drop the render into the photo (the "bike" on the right).
It looked as though it was floating in space so I created a new level in between the rendered bike and the photograph and called it "shadow".
Using the paintbrush tool and a grey colour I painted in where I guessed the shadow would fall from the garage window.
I used the blur tool to fuzz the edges of the shadow and then gave it some transparency to show the garage floor through the shadow.
As you can see I should have used a lighter shadow colour as it is too dark compared to the other shadows in the photograph.

This method, while a little labourous can give better results than the shadow catcher tool (although it is really FAST and easy to use!) as you can match the existing shadows and angles inthe photograph with a lot more accuracy.  As I mentioned earlier, other software that doesn't ahve a shadow catcher material can also be placed over a photo using this method.

hope that helps a bit.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:07:04 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

September 16, 2013, 11:18:05 PM
Another quick tip...using the Photoshop method, you can delete material from your model (in this case a temple) that allows forground objects (in the background image) to appear to be in front of your model, helping to create the illusion of your model sitting IN the picture rather than ON it.

If you look closely at the image below, I deleted parts of the temple model to show long strands of grass that would normally be in front of the building, even though they are, in fact, in the background picture.

This is something that neither the shadow catcher, nor placing an image in the background, can do within TC.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:20:09 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

September 17, 2013, 12:23:17 AM
Sorry to be monopolizing your topic a bit Bob.
I just ran up this quick example of using Photoshop (actually I use the free version off the net; GIMP)
The first pic is a render dumped onto a background.
I dropped this TC house onto a photograph of a vacant lot where the proposed house will live.
I deleted out the side of the house to show the fence that would normally block the view of most of that side of the house.
I think you'll agree it adds to the realism.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

September 17, 2013, 02:47:53 PM
Yep, that's the way Bob.

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations