TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

File won't open?!
Read 1791 times
* September 12, 2013, 06:39:42 AM
Hello all,

Had a unexpected computer shut down and had Turbocad open last night. Do not know if it's related to my current file dilemma. Went to open a client file this morning and for some reason it wont open. getting 'Failed to open document'. Previous saved version gets same message but after I hit O.K. it continues to load. Wondering if the file is toast or perhaps there is an issue with the application program itself and a way to run a repair? I've attached the file in question in case someone would like to try opening it on their program. Maybe saving it back off and sending it back to me might clean it up? grasping at straws.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

September 12, 2013, 06:59:46 AM
Tim

It would help to know what version of TurboCAD you have.

Have you tried to select all the graphics and copy and paste them to a blank drawing and then save that?

This I have had to do on occasion when a file was corrupt and it has worked for me.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* September 12, 2013, 07:18:28 AM
Hi Darrel,

I'm using TurboCad designer 19.2.

I have done as you mentioned, copying and pasting in new drawing, to get rid of gremlins but in this case I can't even get the file to open. I'll try copying and pasting the file to desktop and see if will open from there.

Thanks,
Tim

September 12, 2013, 12:02:34 PM
Because your machine was not shut down properly I would try something I do that often corrects file system errors.

I would  do a Windows Scandisk if you have not done so already.

You may know how to do it, but if not:

Right click on your hard drive Icon, click "Properties", then click the "Tools" tab, Click "check now" on the error checking part, then check the "Automatically repair file system errors" then click "Start".
Then a Form will show saying it cannot check the drive because "Windows is active"... click "Schedule Check on restart"....
Upon restarting your computer the checking will commence before The Windows logon....any errors will be fixed without any intervention.....
It can take a while and will display dialog while checking. Windows logon etc will display as normal after.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

* September 12, 2013, 02:07:34 PM
Take a look in the "BackUps" and "AutoSave" folders (same location as your "Drawings" folder) to see if anything is available.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

September 12, 2013, 03:49:43 PM
As John Suggested.... Remember to change extension type to "All Files" while viewing those folders otherwise nothing is displayed in the folder contents!

Daz…