TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Shadow effect for text
Read 2406 times
* June 13, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
Here's a general how to question for the forum:  First time posting a question so please forgive me if I violate any etiquette.

I want to put several street names on a fairly dark aerial image.  The best way I've seen this is to have a shadow effect for the text (dark base with a light font slightly off-set).  I can't seem to find how to do this simply in TurboCAD.  I can copy the test I type and paste it and manually offset it, but this seems too difficult to sustain long term.  The flexible text feature doesn't seem to get me where I want to go - or I haven't played around enough. 

If anyone has figured out a great way to do this, please LMK.

* June 13, 2013, 03:20:17 PM
Here's a general how to question for the forum:  First time posting a question so please forgive me if I violate any etiquette.

I want to put several street names on a fairly dark aerial image.  The best way I've seen this is to have a shadow effect for the text (dark base with a light font slightly off-set).  I can't seem to find how to do this simply in TurboCAD.  I can copy the test I type and paste it and manually offset it, but this seems too difficult to sustain long term.  The flexible text feature doesn't seem to get me where I want to go - or I haven't played around enough. 

There's a number of ways to go about it.  I expect you'll get a few helpful responses and methods.  TurboCAD can almost certainly do something to satisfy your needs.

Is the picture below anywhere close to what you are looking for?  It's simply one Text copied (via Make Copy), with the second Text being offset in the X, Y directions.  Changing of a couple of Properties, after that.

Really depends on what your needs are.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:34:48 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

June 13, 2013, 04:25:31 PM
TurboCAD does not have a drop shadow option like you would find in a program such as Illustrator or Photoshop.

Would you consider using a text box around  the title with a colored box?

* June 13, 2013, 04:47:59 PM
TurboCAD does not have a drop shadow option like you would find in a program such as Illustrator or Photoshop.

Would you consider using a text box around  the title with a colored box?

Example of Don's suggestion below. (a good one-- It's quick and simple!)

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* June 13, 2013, 06:35:20 PM

I think Alvin's suggestion (using Make Copy) -- a streamlined variation of your method -- is about as quick and easy a solution as you'll find.

Henry H

* June 13, 2013, 06:49:12 PM
I think Alvin's suggestion (using Make Copy) -- a streamlined variation of your method -- is about as quick and easy a solution as you'll find.

Henry H

What would make it even quicker/simpler, if multiple street names are needed:

Use Rubber Stamp to copy the pair of Texts (or the Group, if you are so inclined to Group them so that they don't accidentally move, in relation to each other) and then via the Properties->General Page or Selection Info Palette change the text of the Text of the pair-of-Text for each different street name.  (you would have to make an extra click-or-two if you had them as Groups; then you would have to use Edit Tool and Select All).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:29:52 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* June 14, 2013, 03:01:47 AM
We can use also, flexible text, set thickness and rotate a little. Unfortunately, we need render mode then. I tried to explode such text, but effects without rendering mode are unsatisfactory. Flexible text we can edit and change.
Marek

Marek

TC Pro 2016, TC Pro 2018, TC Plat 2019
Laptop Asus i7 6500U, dual-core 2,50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, RAM 12 GB, SSD 480GB
Windows 10 64 bit